News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

If you had a student with the same name as the most famous football coach of all time, would you want to ask him if his parents chose his name deliberately?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

FishProf

You have a student named Knute Rockne?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

downer

New diversity survey for a college asks if respondents have encountered people at the school of a gender different from their own.

I'm wondering if this is a carefully formulated survey.

AvidReader

Quote from: downer on March 31, 2023, 08:38:36 AM
New diversity survey for a college asks if respondents have encountered people at the school of a gender different from their own.

I'm wondering if this is a carefully formulated survey.

Do you teach at an all-girls' college?

AR.

downer

No. Neither all-boys, nor all-"other-gender." Not a monastery or nunnery either. Not a jail.

They do have data on the proportion of female to male already about their own college, which they could look up.

apl68

We have most of our book orders shipped to the library by FedEx or UPS.  Since the couriers come by here regularly anyway, some of our staff members have personal orders shipped to this address as well.  I guess it keeps them from having to worry about porch pirates.  Anyway, one of them has had a lawn mower and pieces for her and her husband's pickup truck shipped here.  It reminds me a bit of Johnny Cash's song "One Piece at a Time."
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

AmLitHist

I'm reading and posting here while waiting for some files to load in Canvas.

apl68

While setting out donated magazines on the free table, I noticed an old issue of Smithsonian with a cover feature entitled "Surprising Sicily."  I understand that Sicily isn't that hard to surprise, if you approach it quietly from behind.

downer

Canvas word count says a paper has 1795 words. Copying and pasting the paper into a word counter says it has 1950 words.
It would be helpful if Canvas made more explicit what it is counting.

apl68

Note to self--don't wear that Prague T-shirt you got from traveling family awhile back to the local Asian restaurant.  They've posted a sign saying that they don't accept checks.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: apl68 on May 19, 2023, 10:15:57 AM
Note to self--don't wear that Prague T-shirt you got from traveling family awhile back to the local Asian restaurant.  They've posted a sign saying that they don't accept checks.
Ugh!!!

apl68

Was that a squadron of B-17s I heard flying overhead?

No, it was just a remarkably noisy lawn mower in a nearby yard.

ab_grp

I have been having what I am pretty sure are just sinus problems and googled "forehead crackling when I wake up in the middle of the night" and got a page full of exploding head syndrome links, including this one that made me laugh out loud: "Loud crash at 3 a.m.? It may be your exploding head"    (https://www.nbcnews.com/healthmain/loud-crash-3-m-it-may-be-your-exploding-head-1c9926224)

Several links suggest that this is a rare sleep disorder.  If true, why are all the links about it? I guess I would have thought forehead crackling implies sinuses pretty strongly.  Strange search engine behavior, in my opinion, though maybe I'm the only one who thinks of it as crackling? I wasn't caffeinated enough for the results, and I almost lost the coffee I was trying to swallow when I saw the headline I mentioned.  I do feel for folks who have exploding head syndrome, but I wouldn't think that's the most obvious diagnosis.

apl68

Quote from: ab_grp on June 27, 2023, 07:22:34 AMI have been having what I am pretty sure are just sinus problems and googled "forehead crackling when I wake up in the middle of the night" and got a page full of exploding head syndrome links, including this one that made me laugh out loud: "Loud crash at 3 a.m.? It may be your exploding head"    (https://www.nbcnews.com/healthmain/loud-crash-3-m-it-may-be-your-exploding-head-1c9926224)

Several links suggest that this is a rare sleep disorder.  If true, why are all the links about it? I guess I would have thought forehead crackling implies sinuses pretty strongly.  Strange search engine behavior, in my opinion, though maybe I'm the only one who thinks of it as crackling? I wasn't caffeinated enough for the results, and I almost lost the coffee I was trying to swallow when I saw the headline I mentioned.  I do feel for folks who have exploding head syndrome, but I wouldn't think that's the most obvious diagnosis.

"Exploding head syndrome" is a new one on me.  It must be very disturbing.  At least it appears to be harmless.  I guess you should be reassured if you have a variant of it.

I've got the more common, non-auditory equivalent of this--hypnic jerks, where my leg jerks just as I'm falling asleep, so that I've got to start trying to fall asleep again.  Probably happens at least a couple of times a week.  Last night I was evidently starting to dream at the time, since last night's hypnic jerk was associated with a dream about slipping in the mud.  Sometimes it just comes from out of nowhere.