News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

We don't always agree, but thank you for your time and for taking the question seriously, fellow forumite.

mahagonny

"Former US president Donald Trump criticized the media for not covering the article. In a speech in North Carolina on September 23, Trump stated that "Just recently, a young 18-year-old man from North Dakota ... was targeted and killed, run down in cold blood with an SUV by a radical left maniac. This guy ran him down and not one mainstream media network has even mentioned this horrible crime... Think of it the other way. Supposing a mad person ran down somebody on the other side, it would be the biggest story you've ever seen." A Fox News investigation found that neither The New York Times nor MSNBC had covered Ellingson's death.[7]"

A 'draft' available on Wikipedia

Oh, but how could that be anything sensible? Donald Trump said it. LOL

FishProf

But that isn't accurate.  What a surprise.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mahagonny

Quote from: FishProf on September 26, 2022, 04:57:37 PM
But that isn't accurate.  What a surprise.

Tell us what really happened.

jimbogumbo

I know for a fact that CNN and the Washington Post covered it as I looked when Fox made the claim about no mainstream media.

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 26, 2022, 05:07:20 PM
I know for a fact that CNN and the Washington Post covered it as I looked when Fox made the claim about no mainstream media.

was it before or after the 'pre-owned autos for sale' section?

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on September 26, 2022, 05:10:13 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 26, 2022, 05:07:20 PM

was it before or after the 'pre-owned autos for sale' section?

Don't have a clue what you mean by the above. I asserted what you stated wasn't factual (unless you don't count those two as mainstream media).

That claim is made by Fox all the time. It is generally untrue, and is simply a marketing ploy.

FishProf

Trump is quoted as saying "This guy ran him down and not one mainstream media network has even mentioned this horrible crime".

That is simply not true.  You can move the goalposts to "didn't say it enough", or "was it before or after the 'pre-owned autos for sale' section?" but the claim made by Trump is simply incorrect.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mahagonny

Quote from: FishProf on September 26, 2022, 05:21:21 PM
Trump is quoted as saying "This guy ran him down and not one mainstream media network has even mentioned this horrible crime".

That is simply not true.  You can move the goalposts to "didn't say it enough", or "was it before or after the 'pre-owned autos for sale' section?" but the claim made by Trump is simply incorrect.

You win. Just curious. Any editorials about this horrific, self confessed crime? They're very passionate about hate crimes over there at the NYT, you know.
Oh, and I would posit that a new category of hate crimes needs to be recognized, if it's not already, given the current climate of our 'progressive' dominated society: violence or threats against people because they are or might be a republican.
Here's an interesting item in the news.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/police-investigate-fistfight-involving-gop-congressional-candidate-outside-somerville-theatre-saturday/ar-AA12eCUY

Whether or not it turns out to be true or both true and legally proven by testimony that as some suspect, that Ayanna Pressley sent her associates to forcibly shut down the protest, one obvious thing: she had the means, motive, and opportunity. The motive being her public statement 'we don't need any more black voices who aren't black voices.'

little bongo

[not related]

I've looked at this exchange a few times, and I'm just not sure how that answer is remotely related to the question. Reminds me of the sequence in The Catcher in the Rye when Holden is describing a class he disliked because the class would yell "digression!" whenever a speaker strayed from the topic. I'm starting to wonder if maybe yelling "digression!" in such cases might be a good idea after all.

mahagonny

And BTW does anyone understand a thing Stephen Colbert says any more?

little bongo

I don't think clarifying one's title (or lack thereof) is a cheap shot. Relying on the go-to brush-off "hope you get some help" probably is, though.

For the record, if anyone would like to suggest that I get help, I get weekly therapy and some nightly lexapro, thanks. Most days I'm okay-adjacent, and I don't seem to harbor resentments quite so much.

mahagonny

Quote from: little bongo on September 29, 2022, 11:05:07 AM
I don't think clarifying one's title (or lack thereof) is a cheap shot. Relying on the go-to brush-off "hope you get some help" probably is, though.

For the record, if anyone would like to suggest that I get help, I get weekly therapy and some nightly lexapro, thanks. Most days I'm okay-adjacent, and I don't seem to harbor resentments quite so much.

Not to pry into your personal health maintenance, but would you want a pill that makes you stop resenting Adolph Hitler or Osama bin Laden? I would prefer to think resentment is 'what it is,' as they say. And please don't feel you have to answer. I'm jus' sayin.'
You can offer to talk about your mental health treatment if you so choose, but someone else should not. It is rude. Not to mention an ad hominem. Which struck me as weird, because the poster resorted to the cheap shot after refuting my points, not well in my opinion, but at least showing that he understood that would be needed in order for him to stand his ground. So yes, 'hope you get some help' is a cheap shot. Thank you for noting it.
That same poster also called me a 'right-wing whack job' before I was suspended. So, one can can call me names and risk getting thrown off the forum, or one can address me as 'friend', but they can't do both. Doesn't make sense. They ought to pick one or t'other.

RatGuy

QuoteYes, how dare the serfs fail to recognize you stature.   You should probably raise their taxes to teach them a lesson.

This made me snort-laugh

jimbogumbo