News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

I got PERITONEAL-LUCID on the LB yesterday.  Lots of solutions!

Congrats on your 2fer already, cathwen!

Inclining was my final word yesterday! I had even tried clin and cline and out of desperation, but it just hit me when I looked at it some time later.  Clinician I try to keep in my clinic-clinical-clinician group, but I think my husband also missed that one despite him being the one who usually finds the trio.

Today's bee is very long!! Several pangrams so far.  I'm at 304 points, so genius but not even near Alpha yet.  Wow.  Time to check out the other puzzles from today.  I thought the crossword was clever in retrospect.

Parasaurolophus

I'm at 240 in the bee, and many pangrams (three or four). Time for a break.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Made it to genius this morning, and lost count of the pangrams along the way. I think this is it for today.

My last word yesterday was 'clinic'. Took me a long time to find this one. I found clinical and clinician early on, so don't know why this one didn't even occur to me until I started looking for the missing word.

ab_grp

I made it to Alpha plus a bit after another pattern popped out at me.  So 373 so far.  Still nearly 20 points to QB! Yikes. 

Computer had an error and restarted, so I lost the weird hard sudoku yesterday and can't seem to find any archived puzzles or solutions online.  I might write to ask if they are available or could be made available, because I also lost the one from a couple days ago that I was working on, but at least I have that printed.  Ugh.  In any case, off to the medium and hard for today and then back to LB and the bee.

cathwen

SB is a slog today.  I'm at 316 points so far, so I just made Beta.  I didn't think I'd spend so much time on it, but I'm now doing my Webex office student hour; of course no one is showing up, so I have to find some way to amuse myself!

Ab_grp, congrats on Alpha! 

I'm also enjoying all the different solutions to LB.

ciao_yall

Genius, lost count of panagrams!

And, a 2fer. Kind of a disappointing 2fer because I had some fun words that ultimately were didn't fit the 2fer.

ab_grp

Thanks, cathwen, and congrats on Beta! I hope you had some additional luck, too.  We finally quit at 375 pts.  I guess we could have gotten the remaining words, but I doubt it would have happened any time soon.  I guess this long puzzle was to balance out that really short one from a few days ago.

Congrats on genius and your 2fer, ciao_yall! A solution is a solution.  Maybe one with a fun word will pop into your mind later!

ETA: finally got a 2fer!

Langue_doc

I haven't had any time for SB, but miracle of miracles, found a two-fer. I think I'm just over 300 in SB.

Parasaurolophus

Whew, made it! Had a look just before bed and found another pangram.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

I got the official solution which was JILTED-DOWNPOUR. Really wanted to do something with JULEP.

On to today's...

ab_grp

Congrats, Langue_doc and Parasaurolophus!

Ciao_yall, I got that solution as well.  I had had JILTED as one of my few J possibilities, and luckily looking at it on my phone later on helped me find DOWNPOUR.  I'll go check out today's in a sec.

Got to 174 so far today on the bee, so not Alpha yet.  Currently stumped.  Only one pangram so far.  Yesterday's was just loooong and a lot of beekeeping.  We missed indie, edenic, and coifed (though we got coiffed! argh).

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Mine too was jilted-downpour. Got to amazing this morning before my 60+ mile round trip, mostly on the parkways. Now I have to complete vertex, then SB, and only then LB. Priorities, priorities (can't get the schm- to work on this word). There's also the coursework and grading.

Happy solving, all.

cathwen

I also got JILTED-DOWNPOUR.  I found a 2-fer today, but I have a feeling that when we compare tomorrow, we'll have a variety of answers. 

I've reached genius in SB with 161 points so far.  I'll keep coming back to it throughout the day.  Not sure Beta, much less Alpha or QB, are in the cards today.

ciao_yall

2fer on LB already.

SB is a bit of a slog. Won't take OLLA (crossword-prejudice!) or HELLA (anti-California-itis.)

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fers, cathwen and ciao_yall! I am still working on it but have some good contenders at least.

Not much more luck on the bee, now stuck at 185.  I am not sure I'll even get to Alpha today.  I am really stumped.

Good luck to us all!