News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Didn't get too far into the bee yet since we slept in and then husband had a meeting.  I did get the pangram and a couple other words so far.  The word I needed assistance with yesterday was politico.  Just tend to forget that one, I guess.

Argh, I was so close on the LB.  Apologizing was one of several good contenders.  Oh well.  Congrats, ciao_yall!

I'm glad your visit is going well, cathwen, with some nice bird sightings on your nature walk! The egg dying sounds interesting.  And as your daughters probably found out, toast is one of the easier colors to make.  How can so many pretty colors be combined to make something so uncolorful? That's the color my brother and I usually ended up with when we played a card game called spoons.  I think it's a well known game, but the winner gets to make the loser eat whatever they want to (within safety limitations, usually as decided by the babysitter) that they can fit on a spoon.  Some real yummy memories there, I tell ya.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I didn't get much time for puzzling yesterday, so did not get it finish SB.  Missing words:  clop, colic, colt, mimic, piccolo, picot. 

Today I have one word left—I am resisting the urge to look at letter hints.

LB:  No solution yet today, but yesterday I had opalizing-gurneyOpalizing was one of those words tried in despareation.  Why I didn't see apologizing is a mystery.

Daughter and family have left—it was so good to see them.  Our grandson is passionate about oceans and marine life, and he's also learning French—so I gave him a list of words (whale, dolphin, squid, etc.) in French.  He seemed delighted who have it, and told his mother to quiz him in the car going home.  This, in turn, delighted me.

Ab_grp, your spoon game reminds me of a similar game I used to play when I was a kid—my friend and I would make concoctions for the younger kids we played with to ingest.  The concoctions often involved liquids (usually milk) dyed hideous and unappetizing colors, with other foods thrown in (pickle relish, for example). (Bleh!)

Well—time to get to work!  Happy puzzling, all!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far.

QB yesterday, and well above genius on the preceding days.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I needed 2LL help for my last word yesterday—ciabatta.  Today I am at Beta, having just found the pangram.

LB:  I had jackstraws-solute yesterday.  I'm having a hard time today, though—no 2fer yet!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB, needed a hint and took some wild guesses but learned a new word: tacet. And jowl-lackluster.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

We got up nice and early to have the HVAC replaced on one side of the house, and of course they aren't here yet.  Made it to genius, no pangram yet.  Yesterday I needed help with acetate.

No time for LB yesterday.  Hopefully today!

They just arrived.  Time for the hooha.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Quick beta this morning.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and well above genius. Didn't get to complete the bee yesterday.

focus/spadework

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB, hints and wild guesses for boffo. LB - hints and wild guesses for focus-spadework. Another new word!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I ran out of time (and patience) and used 2LL hints to find my final five words:  bedew, bedewed, beefed, booed, and boffo

Today I am at Beta with both pangrams; five words to go.  It's another busy day, so I am not at all sure I'll have time to find them.

LB:  I has fescues-spadework. No 2fer today so far (and again, I'm not at all sure I'll have time to figure this out).

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Not quite to genius yet, though I do have the pangrams.  We ended up sleeping in since we had to get up early yesterday.  My final word with help yesterday was boffo.  I think belle was the one before that.

Totally forgot about LB yesterday, so congrats on the solutions! Never heard of fescues, so thanks for the new word, cathwen!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Limped to GW2P.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius so far.

QB yesterday.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwH yesterday. Got a hint for verklempt-touch.

Happy solving!