General Category > General Discussion

NYT Spelling Bee

<< < (2/1372) > >>

Parasaurolophus:

--- Quote from: nebo113 on August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM ---NYT dropped SET, so in addition to the crossword, I'm been trying Spelling Bee.  However, I'm frustrated because it rejects perfectly good words, solid English language words that are in dictionaries.  Any body else doing Spelling Bee?

--- End quote ---

Yes! I do it every day. I generally manage to get genius and the pangram; Queen Bee is tougher. I get that a couple times a week, these days (but my first one was just a month or two ago).

But yeah, it rejects all kinds of legitimate words (including, but not limited to, any non-American spellings). I also find it incredibly frustrating. The puzzles also seem to repeat a fair bit, albeit occasionally with a different central letter. =/

Boomvang:
I, too, do the Spelling Bee every day on my phone (the paid version, which costs a little extra but is worth it). I keep going until I reach the Genius level, although occasionally I fall a bit short. I have assembled lists of words that are not accepted and I have emailed the NYT puzzlemasters about this a few times. In some cases, they have added words from the list. I encourage you to email them about words that they do not accept--the more of us who do so, the better the chances that they will instate them! I have also emailed them about reusing the same puzzle and just changing the letter in the center. The reply indicated that they are concerned about reaching the ceiling for variants of the puzzle.

I send my emails to: nytcrossword@nyt.com. Last time, they informed me that words suggestions should be sent to: buzzwords@nyt.com

ab_grp:

--- Quote from: Boomvang on August 28, 2020, 12:23:57 PM ---I, too, do the Spelling Bee every day on my phone (the paid version, which costs a little extra but is worth it). I keep going until I reach the Genius level, although occasionally I fall a bit short. I have assembled lists of words that are not accepted and I have emailed the NYT puzzlemasters about this a few times. In some cases, they have added words from the list. I encourage you to email them about words that they do not accept--the more of us who do so, the better the chances that they will instate them! I have also emailed them about reusing the same puzzle and just changing the letter in the center. The reply indicated that they are concerned about reaching the ceiling for variants of the puzzle.

I send my emails to: nytcrossword@nyt.com. Last time, they informed me that words suggestions should be sent to: buzzwords@nyt.com

--- End quote ---

Thanks for bringing this up! We noticed the note about emailing acceptable words but always wondered what happens when you do.  It sounds as if they at least responded.  Did they let you know if there is a particular process for adjudication? One thing I'm torn about is whether I want them to add words in as time goes on.  On the one hand, they should be in there if they fit the criteria.  On the other hand, I have a mental list of "not in there but should be" and don't tend to check them again, so if they do add words in I would like to know! Can you say a little more about your experiences emailing the powers that be?

evil_physics_witchcraft:
I do the free version as well, but I haven't played in awhile since they started cutting you off after a few words.

Boomvang:
ab_grp:
They have responded to my emails every time. In general, their reasoning for finding words on my list unsuitable for inclusion has been that the words are not common enough. My reply was something to the effect of: as a Ph.D., I realize that I'm not the best judge, but in my view these words are common, and the Spelling Bee puzzles' own master list often includes words that are unfamiliar to me. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version