News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

Didn't really get too far yet but I do have the pangram and am on my way to genius.  I forget what my last word was yesterday, but the final five were 4-letter words, and the several before that were 5-letter words.  Maybe aunt? Congrats on your QB too, Langue_doc!

For LB, I had dulcimer-reconvenes, so half-schmofficial, for better or worse.  Lots of solutions already!

Langue_doc, that doctor thread would be a good one, and I'm sure it would draw plenty of stories.  I may add some more after this morning, as I am off again, to another facility, to get routine medical testing done.  Last time I was there was a few weeks into the pandemic here, and there was almost no one at the facility, so I was able to get everything done quickly.  We'll see about today.  Part of it is fasting blood work, so no coffee yet.  :-(  I am still sore from sitting so long yesterday.   I thought the 3-hour sitting spells of grad school classes were behind me. 

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB with 1L help yesterday to find the last word, hatha.  Today, thanks to 2.5 hours in a cancer unit sitting with my husband as he got blood tests and then his immunotherapy infusion, I made QBABM, echoing ab_grp's experience yesterday. 

Ab_grp, I'm glad the doctor found nothing wrong with your eyes, especially after the long wait. 

LB:  Another variant!  I had slumlords-servicemen.  I also have a 2fer today. 

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

Blah, not today! I'm very close, but just can't see anything else.

Edit: Nope, had a last look and got to GWP.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Finally got to genius this morning after getting the pangram right away.  We had team QB again yesterday.  I missed baobab for the first time in a while, along with bazaar, ragbag.  He missed bazoo and a few others.  The absolutely only reason I found that word was because we've been watching Frasier, and Frasier's dad sometimes tells him to shut his big bazoo.  I don't think I've heard of it elsewhere.  Congrats on your QBABY, cathwen!

And congrats on your other solution posted yesterday (interesting pair!) and on your 2fer yesterday.  Also, I hope your husband's tests and treatments went well.  I'm sure it's not easy.  As for my eyes, I am definitely glad they look pristine but am still frustrated not knowing why I have vision loss.  He did give me an Amsler grid for self-monitoring until my next appointment.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwHaaWG (Queen Bee with Hints and a Wild Guess) for bazoo. LB wombat-trueing.

Got a 2fer today already but Bee is slow.

I have started doing Wordle. I don't find it very challenging but maybe I have been lucky? My starting word is peach.

Anyway, happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Boar was my last word yesterday, with bazoo as a just-fiddling-around-desperately surprise.  I have a few words to go today.

LB:  I had browbeating-gum.  I found a 2fer today relatively quickly.

Ab_grp, my husband's immunotherapy is going very well, so far.  He's now almost as he was prior to the chemo and surgery, although he's still experiencing some fatigue.

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Awesome, Parasaurolophus! I need some of that mojo today.

I did manage to get a 2fer after a few tries. 

Congrats on your 2fer, cathwen, and on the one from yesterday! I'm really glad to hear that your husband's immunotherapy is going so well.  It sounds like quite a lot of progress. 

And congrats on your 2fers yesterday and today as well, ciao_yall!  I think Wordle is pretty easy most days.  It can be difficult when several words have every letter in common except one.  Then strategy is involved.  There is also a newsletter I referred to upthread from the NYT in which they report on which were the hardest and easiest Wordles of the week.  And you can try the Wordle bot to see how good your choices are (after you solve).

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and above genius, but am truly stuck.

QB yesterday, but got brogan and bazoo, the meanings of which are still obscure to me, by putting letters together.

Fauna-themed wombat/trueing and then numbat/towering.

Went on a bird walk and then decided to extend my trip for an errand. The errand was successful, but the subways are snarled this weekend with the X train for instance going on the Y tracks between some of the stations, and then the Z tracks before getting back on the X tracks. Other trains were also either rerouted or curtailed with the result that the return trip which should have taken just over an hour ended up taking more than 2.5 hours, and with me having to walk the entire length of the train when I got off because I had counted on taking another train which would have put me at the correct end of the train. This wouldn't have been too bad if it had been an isolated incident, but yesterday on my way home from an appointment, the train stopped with half of the first car (in which I was) past the station, so the doors couldn't be opened. Eventually the conductor came to each car, opened the rear door of the car I was in to see if anyone needed to exit. At the next station, the train's brakes got activated so that only the first half of the first car was in the station. We had to wait for maintenance/service person to come to the station, fiddle with the controls that were in the huge black box-like structure on the platform, and check several times with the driver before the train could start. Several trains were backed up in both directions for a very long time. It took me about a couple of hours to get home. The joys of riding the subway in New York! Today on my way out, there was a man smoking a cigarette inside the train. Fortunately an MTA employee happened to be in the same car so I asked him to intervene.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius so far. Missed a few easy words yesterday, but found

ladybug/geography, and then graphed/doubly.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I did not finish SB yesterday—my missing words were intro, nitro, nutrition, turf. Today I am at GWP. 

LB: I had graphed-doubly.  Congratulations on finding two, Langue_doc!  No 2fer for today so far.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram right away, luckily, and to genius after a bit and then did the crossword.   I thought it was a cute theme today! A nice change.  Yesterday I just gave up on the bee.  I don't know what it is, but these days I just hit a wall at some point.  Husband got QBABH.  I was missing turf, notion, roti, tortoni, rotini, tofu.  I guess I was just not seeing food for some reason!

For LB, I also got graphed-doubly.  Congrats on two 2fers, Langue_doc!  And your two 2fers the day before! You are on a roll.  Sorry to hear about your travel issues.  What a pain in the neck.  I can imagine! And smoking on the train is... bold...

Congrats Parasaurolophus! That was quick!

Happy solving!

ETA: Congrats on your 2fer as well, cathwen!

ciao_yall

QBw2LL - I think my last word was rotini. LN bedbug-graphology. Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got a 2fer!

Congrats on a different solution, ciao_yall!