News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

I'm at Beta with the pangram, but now flummoxed.  Yesterday I stumbled over annal, which I usually get. 

LB:  I first had trunkfish-hoard.  Trunkfish was a desperation try and I was surprised when it took.  I learned that it is a type of fish native to the Caribbean—so I have expanded my pitiful range of ichthyological terms.  Later I tried again and got the almost-official fastidious-shrink. I have a 2fer today also.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and well above genius. Last word yesterday was lunula, which I've encountered countless times.

fastidious/shrink

When I looked out the window just before 9, it had stopped raining. Decided to go for a walk because the weather forecast this morning predicted no rain until after 2 PM contrary to yesterday's forecast which called for rain all day today. Guess what? Had a nice walk for almost an hour, then the rain came down in torrents, so had to walk for about 10 minutes in pouring rain, wearing a raincoat which stopped being a raincoat after three washes, and clutching my binoculars so that the lenses wouldn't get waterlogged. It was a good walk though with plenty of birds. I could have sheltered under one of the many large trees, but decided that it was better to get soaked and get home rather than wait not knowing when the rain would end.

Happy solving, and stay dry!

ab_grp

I managed to get a 2fer! And am near alpha but not quite there yet.

Congrats on your 2fer, Langue_doc, and on your two 2fers, cathwen (and another today)!

Langue_doc, sorry to hear that you got soaked.  It's hard to decide whether to just get moving and deal with it while having an end in sight or wait and possibly end up stuck for much longer or be in a worse position.  I'm glad you got some good birding in despite that. 

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius, with a measly 15-word list. It's a tricky one today, so probably no QB.

Last word yesterday was infinitive.

brighten/nyloned, and brightly/yonder (I think these were the words--didn't write them down)

Twofer today.

Bird walk scheduled for today was canceled because of the rain, so it's a stay-at-home and catching-up-on-chores day.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram but am stalled for now.  It does seem like a tricky one.  We got to team QB again, with my missing word being vivified (again).  I think he was missing diffident

Got blonder-rightly after first trying brightly and dumbly thinking I couldn't get a mate.  Looking at my chicken scratch, I think I wrote down that there was an H left instead of an N, so that might be part of it.  Congrats on your two 2fers, Langue_doc! And on another today!

Sorry to hear about your bird walk cancellation, but I hope the time at home is enjoyable (other than chores).

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB with a hint for vivified. Was with my hiking group yesterday and we made a point of using the word vivified as often as we could.

LB brightly-yonder.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QB with a hint for identified and vivified.  I guess we all stumbled over that one!  Ciao_yall, I must try using vivified in a sentence, too!  QB-2 today.  This is a short one, but difficult.

LB:  Yesterday I had blonder-rightly.  No 2fer today yet, though!  Congratulations on finding one, Langue_doc!

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams and a long slog to genius. Missed eggcup yesterday. eggcup!? Oh, well.

capitular/rhomb

Easy twofer today.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB, just the grid to guess at eggcup.

LB - only thing I got was a 2fer b4ss thump-parabolic. Not even a 3fer!

Oh well, happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday; with help, got penne (a word I almost never miss) and eggcup.

Today is going to be a slog.  I'm at genius with only one of the two pangrams. 

LB:  No luck yesterday, but I got a quick 2fer today! 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangrams and a bit past genius.  We each think we found a word that isn't accepted but should be today.  Yesterday we each got to QBABO, with my final word being penne and his being pence.  I tried eyecup on a whim, but I guess that's a thing.

For LB, I must have been thinking along the same lines as Langue_doc.  I got capitular-rhombi, so a bit less efficient.  And congrats on 2fers today, Langue_doc and cathwen!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Two pangrams, no genius.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Missed cardioid, toroid, and a couple of other words yesterday. It's annoying that perfectly legit and acceptable words are excluded, but the bee expects us to know obscure scientific or foreign words!

acquisitions/spork (a battered spork was one of his prized antique acquisitions)

ab_grp, what was the not-accepted word?

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with pangram plus a bit so far.  I had quite a few left yesterday when we compared but somehow managed to get the more sciencey ones.  We almost had team QB but needed help with corrida.  Langue_doc, I thought acidotic might be in there.  It appeared to be in the dictionary and etc.  Maybe I watch too many crime and med shows!

And once again I was apparently thinking along similar lines, but I got the same one this time (acquisitions-spork).

We didn't have any internet this morning until now and may not later thanks to some Xfinity servicing in the neighborhood, so at least I got a start on a journal article review. 

Happy solving!