News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Yesterday was not my best day.  I gave up at QB-5 to get 2LL hints, then found funnel, lunette, tuffet, unlet, venule.   And no 2fer, either!  I never would have thought of verklempt, although of course I know the word.

Today I am at QB-3 and have a 2fer, although not a terribly economical one.  But a solution it is.

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Okay I swear I posted here this morning. ?! Anyway, I guess I will try to recap.  Got to GWP luckily but haven't had time to look at LB yesterday or today (yet).  Yesterday we needed help with tutee, tuffet.  I also said congrats to ciao_yall on the 2fer yesterday and to cathwen for the 2fer today.  Maybe I navigated away? Very weird.

Although I should note that I ran into another weird issue on this thread that I took a screenshot of and then deleted a week or two ago.  It's like some posts weren't showing up that I knew were there.  Maybe I am just nuts.

Langue_doc

QB and a two-fer. Didn't write down the words so just spent a good quarter of an hour trying to retrieve them.

ab_grp, do you think a poltergeist might have snuck into your computer and/or phone?

ciao_yall

QB, needed a hint for laity. LB was chiton-nonverbal. Sort of guessed at chiton and when it took, looked it up. Turns out it is a type of mollusk. Maybe I remembered it from SB?

GwP and 2fer already today. Now what? Guess I'll go back to bed.

cathwen

Good morning!

QBw2LL for last three words yesterday:  allay (which I could have sworn I had entered already), atilt (which I usually get), and tallit, which I suddenly remembered from a previous puzzle.

Today's SB stands at QB-2, but I'm stuck.

LB:  It took me ages to find a 2fer:  clincher-reverberation.  Ciao_yall, congratulations on yours!  Looks like we'll have some variety.   As for today's LB, I found a quick 2fer.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

We were up late so slept in again, but I did get to genius with pangram.  Yesterday I think the ones I needed help with were lotto, vial.  For the first, I had tried lotta, given that words like gonna, dunno are accepted.  Hmm.

Congrats on the LB solutions! And I'm glad to hear that a quick 2fer was found today, though by cathwen, so that does not mean that I will get it. 

Langue_doc, congrats on QB and 2fer! I have no idea what's going on.  Maybe I am just nuts.  We have been all over the place with the HVAC, prom, HS and associate's degree graduations coming up, 18th birthday this week, medical appts and exciting changes of diets, etc.  But I really swear that some posts just disappeared and reappeared the last time.  I don't know.

I cancelled my friend call today to have more time for nothing, so maybe I will actually get to look at LB!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and genius so far. Don't remember my last word or words yesterday as I had to get up before the crack of dawn to go on a bird walk (got to genius on the subway).

chiton/nonverbal (found the latter first, and then looked for a first word with the remaining letters)

Two different night herons both snoozing high up on trees, assorted warblers, and other common (for me at least) birds. Nice weather and walk, but not too many birds as it's a bit early for spring migration.

No more puzzling today as I have to grade papers and other assignments.

ab_grp, congrats on the 18th birthday, and do tell about the new diets.

ab_grp

Well, at least I got a 2fer on my first try! Still a few bee words left to go, though.

Langue_doc, thanks! Sorry that "exciting" was sarcasm.  Someone had blood work for his cardiologist appt and found out he suddenly has pretty high blood sugar, so he has had to cut carbs out pretty much completely.  So we have been scrambling to learn what will work since the vegetarian who mostly eats pasta and bread items is coming back tomorrow and also has the big birthday and other celebratory events that I mentioned coming up.  At first there were no doctor appts open until July, which seemed like kind of a long time to flail around by ourselves, but he got in yesterday afternoon and got on a pill that should help regulate the blood sugar a bit for now.  Kind of strange there didn't seem to be any previous signs, though his family history isn't great in any medical sense you could probably come up with.  So, lots of seafood and salads the past week or so, but less sure what do do next week.  I am thankful we have the means and the time to try to come up with alternatives to our go-tos that will work, and he has been a trooper, having had to give quite a lot up quickly.  The whole thing seems so complex, and then he has the heart meds that also factor in somehow, but I hope he can make some changes and get back to a more lenient (but healthier!) lifestyle in a couple months.  There seems to be a lot of contradictory advice out there, and even some of what his various doctors have recommended doesn't seem to make sense. 

Hopefully the birding trip was a good one even with an early start time and a smaller selection of species.  Do night herons snore? Good luck with grading!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB--one unfamiliar word.

Last word yesterday was unpin.

ab_grp, hope the diet takes care of the blood sugar. Yes, even doctors give you contradictory advice, so do what works best for your particular situation.

I'm not sure if the black-crowned night herons https://ebird.org/species/bcnher were snoring, but both were definitely snoozing, with their heads tucked somewhere around their necks.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB - got a hint for pinup but I might have found it on my own. LB journeyman-nixed.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to genius with pangram so far but am still working on the crossword.  Yesterday I needed help with unpin, ninepin, pileup.

I also got the schmofficial solution for LB.

Thanks, Langue_doc! We will definitely do our best.  And I thought herons were larger for some reason.  There are a lot of herons! The white-bellied one looks more like what I think of.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got a 2fer! One of the words is a little weird, so I'm not sure it's the schmofficial one.

cathwen

Good evening!

Yesterday my last words were ninepin and puli.  Today I made QBABM!

I also had the "official" solution for LB.  I have a 2fer today also.