News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: reener06 on October 12, 2020, 11:36:14 AM
What is up with today? I thought Monday was easier. Blech. I hate these letters.I got to  Amazing, and have 31 points to go. Blech.

Yeah, it's tough. I've only got 83 points so far.
I know it's a genus.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 12, 2020, 11:38:53 AM
Quote from: reener06 on October 12, 2020, 11:36:14 AM
What is up with today? I thought Monday was easier. Blech. I hate these letters.I got to  Amazing, and have 31 points to go. Blech.

Yeah, it's tough. I've only got 83 points so far.

Agreed. I got one of the pangrams fairly early on, then stalled.  Could not make these letters work in my head. I think I do worse when the anchor letter is a vowel. Also, I just kept seeing "donut" which of course doesn't count for anything and makes me want snack food.

Langue_doc

Agree. Tedious, and not very interesting words. I made it to QB though.

ab_grp

We got pretty far with it before going to the programs and then the answers, but that's probably because most words were pretty familiar and easy to get from previous puzzles.  Some we just forgot about.  I think we were about 17 points away before the programs, then 6 points away after.  Had to look at the answers to find the final word.  I thought it was okay, not super fun, not a super drudge.  At least there weren't any really crazy words.

monarda

Thanks for this thread. How did I not know that these puzzles existed? I've been doing NYT crosswords Thurs-Sun each week.
This will be a good way to burn some time on Mon-Weds (!)

nebo113

Just got today's panagram on the 5th word, so will quit while I'm ahead!

Langue_doc

Today's wasn't too bad, but I'm stuck. I'll have to come back to it later for my last two words.

OneMoreYear

Yes, the pangram came easy today! Good way to start the morning. Perhaps it's because there is only one vowel?

ciao_yall

Since I'm doing the free version it cuts me off just as I'm getting started.

But if I start paying, I'll get Letter Boxed, and I'll never stop looking at my phone and end up like Arachnia.

ab_grp

Quote from: monarda on October 12, 2020, 12:44:05 PM
Thanks for this thread. How did I not know that these puzzles existed? I've been doing NYT crosswords Thurs-Sun each week.
This will be a good way to burn some time on Mon-Weds (!)

Glad you found us!

Today's seems a bit tough, but maybe I need more coffee.  I did get a pangram and got to genius, but I am at a loss for now.  I'll go back to it.  I will have some comments about particulars tomorrow so I don't give anything away.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 13, 2020, 07:38:32 AM

But if I start paying, I'll get Letter Boxed, and I'll never stop looking at my phone and end up like Arachnia.

Letter boxed is not as satisfying as the Bee, and that's the problem: I can go on and on and on and on forever.
I know it's a genus.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 13, 2020, 07:38:32 AM

Yeah, me too, just the free version for now. I try to at least find the pangram before it cuts me off, then I just write my answers down and compare to the answer list. Probably not as satisfying as playing with the subscription.

ab_grp

Did anyone else find yesterday's entry "gaydar" to be a little surprising? What they include or not or think is appropriate or not really boggles the mind sometimes.  At this point, I figure I will just try anything that comes to mind.  You never know.

Today was another long one.  We got pretty far before having to throw in the towel and go get some other things accomplished.  I only knew one of the three remaining words.

Langue_doc

Gaydar was a wild guess on my part. I'd much rather have difficult puzzles that contain fewer words instead of puzzles that contain more than 200 words as was the case today and probably on Monday.

ab_grp

There was a nice, long article about the bee in the NYT today: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/crosswords/spellingbee-puzzles.html

I found it interesting that a reasonably small percentage of people reach genius and that QB is apparently an easter egg level? The article mentions that genius is actually the official top level.