Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

It's a dreary one today.

ab_grp

We finally each got genius, compared, and got to QB without looking at the program output.  The final word was a guess of letters that could work together, which I am not a fan of.  I managed to get two like that yesterday (photoic and photopic).  The final word we got today seemed very specific given that they did not have "anjou" in there a couple days ago, and that is a pretty common type of pear. 

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on October 24, 2020, 02:37:28 PM
We finally each got genius, compared, and got to QB without looking at the program output.  The final word was a guess of letters that could work together, which I am not a fan of.  I managed to get two like that yesterday (photoic and photopic).  The final word we got today seemed very specific given that they did not have "anjou" in there a couple days ago, and that is a pretty common type of pear.

Anjou is a French province, though, so it's a proper noun.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 24, 2020, 02:49:38 PM

That makes sense, but they also have "panama" in there.  I assumed it was included because it's a type of hat (?), but it's also a proper noun.  Maybe there's some other distinction between them?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on October 24, 2020, 02:51:55 PM

That makes sense, but they also have "panama" in there.  I assumed it was included because it's a type of hat (?), but it's also a proper noun.  Maybe there's some other distinction between them?

Uh oh. Sigh. The 'system' isn't even systematic.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 24, 2020, 04:22:31 PM

If the system accepts panama as a synonym for hat, then it should also accept anjou as one of the synonyms for pear.
Today's is joyless. I'm giving up.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on October 25, 2020, 05:41:19 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 24, 2020, 04:22:31 PM

If the system accepts panama as a synonym for hat, then it should also accept anjou as one of the synonyms for pear.
Today's is joyless. I'm giving up.

It does seem inconsistent.  The final word we got yesterday was "Puli", which appears to be a type of dog that is capitalized in most references I've seen.  Seems comparatively uncommon and also to test the boundaries of acceptable.

I am almost to genius today and don't think it will be too much trouble to get there.  Not sure about QB yet.  But the pangram (or one of them if there is more than one) seems a bit more difficult than most.   I had heard the word (somewhere?) and got it, but I had no idea what it meant until I looked it up just now. 

Langue_doc

I too was surprised to see 'puli'. Just crept up to 79. That's it for today, I think.

ciao_yall

The inconsistencies are why I hate the online edition. It will take YUCCA but not LANTANA or VERBENA. YTTRIUM but not VANILLIN. As langue_doc says, it's joyless.

They should put every possible word in the online solution and just set the bar a bit lower.

Meanwhile in the old-school print edition I am one word short from genius this morning.

nebo113

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 25, 2020, 03:46:10 PM
The inconsistencies are why I hate the online edition. It will take YUCCA but not LANTANA or VERBENA. YTTRIUM but not VANILLIN. As langue_doc says, it's joyless.

They should put every possible word in the online solution and just set the bar a bit lower.

Meanwhile in the old-school print edition I am one word short from genius this morning.

Where do you get the print edition?

nebo113

Boy am I pissed!!!  The first word I put in today was "dicot" and it was rejected!!!  Don't even want to keep going.

Langue_doc

Another dreary one. You need @250 points to reach Genius.

Parasaurolophus

Hmm. No 'factum' yesterday.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Quote from: nebo113 on October 26, 2020, 04:58:45 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on October 25, 2020, 03:46:10 PM

Where do you get the print edition?

Sunday paper delivered. It's in the magazine with the crossword puzzle.

I achieved genius BTW.

ciao_yall

Are well all doing the same online version?

The panagram was a medical term, but then it would not take OTIC.