News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 03, 2020, 03:36:54 AM
Solved LB in about 5 minutes today, and also made it to genius in SB.

Ditto. Now what am I gonna do all day?

Note to ab_grp: I read Langue_doc's comment before I looked and thought uh-oh, LD really kicks @ss at this - but then I got it on the first try.

Parasaurolophus

Yeah, easy Bee this morning! One notable missing word, however.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Yes, mine were frolic and chantey, despite my not knowing that word.

Today's was too easy. Maybe they have a new puzzle setter?

ab_grp

I had the same answer as ciao_yall for yesterday's LB.  I guessed from Langue_doc's clues that one might be frolic.  I had tried frothy and frothy at some point so remembered some of that pattern.  I don't think I would have gotten chantey, though I think that might have been one that was in the bee a few weeks ago, same day as it was (luckily!) in the crossword? Still not something that would pop into mind.  Sounds like today might not be so hard, so I'll give that a try in a few.  Hopefully I'll have the same success that you all have had!

As for the bee, yes, thankfully it was pretty short and easy.  We each managed to get up to around 100 and then compared lists and got to QB.  Yesterday we missed minicam and caiman (in the dictionary) and catmint, mancula, and clamant (found from the answers and added to the database).     

ETA: Wow, today's LB was easy! Surprisingly so.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 03, 2020, 08:47:48 AM
Yes, mine were frolic and chantey, despite my not knowing that word.

Today's was too easy. Maybe they have a new puzzle setter?

Interesting that you always seem to hit the "official" answer. Are you from the NY area? Or maybe you and the puzzle setters all went to the same college or something?

I find word puzzles very culturally specific.

Langue_doc

My responses are of the hit-or-miss type, so living in the city has no bearing on my guesses that turn out to be the correct answers. The puzzle setters are probably young 'uns living in typical young 'un neighborhoods and frequenting typical young 'un hangouts, so culturally and otherwise quite different from my background. Sorry to disappoint you!

Langue_doc

At least four pangrams today.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 04, 2020, 07:36:04 AM

It cut me off after two.

Now to Letterboxed. 3 more days and then I need to decide if I want to start paying for it.

ab_grp

Definitely feels like a different kind of bee today in some ways.  I'm about 15 points from QB but am taking a break for now. 

For LB, I had gravel yesterday but think I had a different first word.  Now I can't remember what it was.   Guess we'll see if today's is as easy as yesterday was. 

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on December 04, 2020, 08:31:24 AM

Definitely feels like a different kind of bee today in some ways.  I'm about 15 points from QB but am taking a break for now. 

For LB, I had gravel yesterday but think I had a different first word.  Now I can't remember what it was.   Guess we'll see if today's is as easy as yesterday was.

Definitely trickier. Getting to 3, and lots of great words, but 2 remains elusive for now. Am screen-shotting all my 3fers for inspiration.

ab_grp

We made it to QB after comparing lists.  Whew!

I am having no luck so far getting 2 words on LB.  I have a bunch of possible words to work with, but haven't found the right ones or right combo yet.

Langue_doc

I also made it to QB. As for LB, the directions for today are to try to solve in 5 words, which suggests that fitting the letters into two words might be difficult. I gave up as there's still the crossword to tackle and the grading. Payback for yesterday's easy puzzle, no doubt.

I can see the suggestions for the number of words when on the computer, but not on the kindle.

Parasaurolophus

Got all four pangrams and made it past genius today. We'll see about QB later.

Yesterday, it didn't want to accept 'levelly'.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

For LB, it does typically have a "solve in [X] words" posted, but it has seemed as though there have been 2-word solutions each day lately.  I might be wrong and on a wild goose chase! I had been satisfied with 3-word solutions, and you folks have inspired me to go for 2.  I still haven't found an official note about whether there is always a 2-word solution possible, or what.  If anyone has looked at the official solutions more consistently than me and seen some that were 3 words, that would be great to know.

Langue_doc, congrats on QB, and the crossword didn't seem too bad today.  Sorry you have grading to distract you.

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 04, 2020, 05:09:09 PM
Yesterday, it didn't want to accept 'levelly'.

Yep, and with all the other 'ly' words! I looked it up to make sure I was spelling it correctly and kept trying it, which of course did not lead to any joy at all.

ciao_yall

There is always a 2-word solution. I didn't realize that at first - I thought woohoo, I made 5, I guess I win.

Yeah, lots of 3fers. What I have noticed so far after looking at my screenshots is that they all involve UM or MU words. I have tried to do other things with the M and/or U but keep coming back there. Even when I solve the rest of the LB without them, my little filler words are that pattern.

Curious what the final result will be. Off to pour some more wine and watch "Life of Brian."