News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Aha! I got a 10 and 7, thanks to your hint, ciao_yall.  Although now I am wondering if Langue_doc found the same 10 and 7 or a different pair.

Langue_doc

My ten letter word is a variation of the seven letter one. As for the latter, it's probably one of the things we do when confronted with configurations such as today's.

ETA My ten letter word is most definitely not a variation of the seven letter one. I'm typing this on my kindle, which affects my thinking.

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 06, 2020, 08:59:34 AM
Today's SB is rather similar to the one from a couple days ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember all my words from then. =p

Yup. They're mostly run of the mill words, at least until you get to genius.

ciao_yall

My words yesterday were ANTAGONIZE-EXCERPT and then I realized I could get it done with AGONIZE-EXCERPT.

Can't check the official answers yet because it has gone behind the paywall - I'll figure out the subscription add-on later today. I already subscribe to the NYTimes so maybe it's just an addition to my current account and it will be easy.

ab_grp

I didn't get back to LB yesterday, so I would be interested to know which words you found, Langue_doc! Mine were agonize and excerpt, and ciao_yall gave me a hint to get to antagonize as the first word.  ETA: just saw ciao_yall's post.  The official solution was agonize-excerpt.

Today's bee is getting to me! I was doing pretty well and got up to about 152, but neither husband nor I could find the pangram, so we compared lists and now have about 17 points left to QB and still no pangram.  Didn't sleep too well, which isn't helping.  I figure we either have just a long pangram left, or a pangram and a couple short words.  Maybe a little more coffee will do some magic.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on December 07, 2020, 08:36:26 AM
I didn't get back to LB yesterday, so I would be interested to know which words you found, Langue_doc! Mine were agonize and excerpt, and ciao_yall gave me a hint to get to antagonize as the first word.  ETA: just saw ciao_yall's post.  The official solution was agonize-excerpt.

Today's bee is getting to me! I was doing pretty well and got up to about 152, but neither husband nor I could find the pangram, so we compared lists and now have about 17 points left to QB and still no pangram.  Didn't sleep too well, which isn't helping.  I figure we either have just a long pangram left, or a pangram and a couple short words.  Maybe a little more coffee will do some magic.

The correct responses are agonize and excerpt. My first set of words were antagonize and excerpt, but the first word repeats letters (a and n in the first, and t in the second). I found the correct set after seeing ciao_yall's post yesterday.

I'm still missing the pangram in today's SB, but made it to genius.

ciao_yall

SB - up to Amazing before a shower, no panagram yet. It wouldn't take CEPE which is a kind of mushroom. Now I'm cranky.

LB - got a clunky 5 word solution started but haven't found that long word that eats up a lot of letters, pointing toward the 2 word solution.

OneMoreYear

Today's pangram became more obvious after I kept seeing headache (because I have a constant one this semester)--which obviously does not count as a word because it doesn't include p.

Parasaurolophus

I'm at genius, but the pangram eludes me for the time being!
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Wouldn't take HIPPED either, like a hipped roof.

Langue_doc

I too was miffed at SB's refusal to accept hipped.

The pangram must be a tricky one today as none of us has found it yet.

ETA: as for the pangram, just play around with word combinations; it's sort of a compound.

ETA: just saw this one:
Quote from: OneMoreYear on December 07, 2020, 09:41:15 AM
Today's pangram became more obvious after I kept seeing headache (because I have a constant one this semester)--which obviously does not count as a word because it doesn't include p.

ab_grp

I finally got the pangram as the penultimate word.   The final word took another minute or two, but I finally got that.  And it was an easy one, so I was kicking myself. 

ciao_yall

nebo113

Why does LB say "Genius" or "Awesome" after some words?

ab_grp

Quote from: nebo113 on December 07, 2020, 01:17:27 PM

Maybe they're trying to be like their more popular sibling, the bee. ;-)  Still struggling with today's LB, by the way.  I have some good candidate words but have not been able to make any solutions in two words.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on December 07, 2020, 01:42:18 PM
Quote from: nebo113 on December 07, 2020, 01:17:27 PM

Maybe they're trying to be like their more popular sibling, the bee. ;-)  Still struggling with today's LB, by the way.  I have some good candidate words but have not been able to make any solutions in two words.

They think we're kids who need the "well done" feedback.

I made it to QB earlier this afternoon, and just completed the crossword, an easy one. Now on to some grading before tackling LB. I found a couple of words earlier but couldn't get the remaining letters to form a word.