News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Oh my gosh, I just solved the medium sudoku in under 16 minutes.  I'm sure that's a fluke! I just checked my answers once early in because I thought I had made a mistake, but they were correct, and I turned that off again.  Whee!! Maybe that will give me some more juice on the bee. 

ciao_yall

LB yesterday was wreath-holidays. I got it almost immediately. Very cool to see what you all are coming up with.

Today - getting 3fers and once really nice long word that leaves a few odd letters so hope I'm close.

SB - today feels like a slog. Panagram, starting to get into the weird words I recall from other puzzles and still at "Nice."

Saturdays I do the WSJ crossword puzzle and today they have a great variety puzzle from Patrick Berry who is one of my favorites. Hard to get started but once it clicks it gets going. But slow start today.

Time for a walk on this sunny winter day!

ab_grp

Wow.  We finally had to look at the answers after getting to within 22 or so points of QB.  Definitely would not have gotten some of them.

ciao_yall

Hit the 2-fer, and "genius" after checking in with the NYT Crossword Puzzle Comments crowd.

Langue_doc

Made it to genius with a word from Jurassic Park. I don't think I can get to QB as I'm running out of possibilities and there's still a long way to go.

Two-fer in LB finally!

Congrats all. Sudoku medium sounds like a victory.

ab_grp

Yes, high fives all around! I wonder if we'll have different 2-fers again today. 

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 26, 2020, 12:24:25 PM
Sudoku medium sounds like a victory.

Thanks! That time is amazing for me, definitely a victory.  And, I got the hard one done in under 40, so maybe I am improving.  I did have to check that one once and found an incorrect entry, but other than that I made it through. 

Good luck to any still slogging through the bee.  Tough one.  Some new (to me) words, for sure.

cathwen

I finally got to Genius in SB, but it was a slog—I can't imagine getting to QB.  I haven't gotten back to LB,  so I am still stuck at a 3-fer.  Congrats to those who found 2-fers! 

Parasaurolophus

Stymied at 'amazing' again in the SB.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Slogging through the crossword.

At 205 points I think I've done my good deed for today.

cathwen

Up in the middle of the night, and voilà...I found a solution for LB! 

ab_grp

Congrats, cathwen! Was that for today's or yesterday's? Looks like yesterday's official solution was FORMATION-NEBULA.  I had AMBULATION-NIFTIER.  What did everyone else come up with?

We were awakened early to a call about sad but completely expected news about my father in law, so I am not really awake yet.  But, I did get through the crossword and to 6 points from QB.  Luckily it's an easy one today.

cathwen

It was yesterday's LB.  I found febrile and emulation. 

Today's LB is the usual 3-fer so far.  Congratulations, ab_grp, for getting so close to QB today!  I'm stuck at amazing. 

Langue_doc

Mine were informant and trouble.

Made it to amazing on the SB. There's still the crossword to complete, and then the LB which I haven't looked at yet.

ETA Made it to genius and completed the crossword. It's usually the small words that get me into trouble.

ab_grp, sorry to hear that you got sad news about your father-in-law.

ETA 2: got the two-fer, an easy one, with words we use often, if not every day.

ciao_yall

ab_grp, so sorry about your FIL.

I had "filament-trouble" for LB yesterday. At one point I found "beautiful" which ate up almost all the letters but didn't leave me anything to work with.

At amazing on SB so far so about to start LB.

Waiting for husband to start the Sunday Crossword so I can finish it. He likes to fill in the ones he knows, as well as a few joke answers. Luckily we do it in pencil...

ab_grp

Thanks for the kind words! We have had several weeks to get used to the eventuality, but it is still certainly a hard loss to deal with.

Husband had the final word I needed in the bee, so that is out of the way.  I don't think there were any really out-there words, so good luck to you all.

I had some LB contenders, but what Langue_doc said (hinted at?) made me think of another that I sort of had the letters for.  Now I need a word to go with it.  I also started with "beautiful" yesterday but couldn't get anywhere with it despite leaving few letters remaining.  But I hit "ambulation" second, and that worked out pretty quickly.  Interesting that we had so many different 2-fers!

Crossword wasn't bad, just long (as usual for Sunday).