News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Well *&$^#%*^ I am one or two points away from QB!! Just one or two four-letter words left.  I can think of a few four-letter words right now, but they probably wouldn't be accepted even if the letters were in there.  I can confirm that there is only one pangram, though, if that helps.  Congrats on genius, Langue_doc, and good luck to all!

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 11, 2021, 08:13:19 AM
Yesterday, it still wasn't accepting 'rota' or 'atlatl'.

My husband kept trying atlatl yesterday, too! I keep wanting them to accept "nori", but I guess since it's the Japanese name for seaweed they might consider it foreign, even though there are other foreign food words in there.  And I keep thinking there will be some compound words with "data", like "datacard", but I guess that's two words.

I was humming along on the crossword and had my best Monday time, I think, but I had a mistake I had to find that took an extra dang minute.  Oh well.  Onto LB and then hopefully to QB.

ETA: YAY I got to QB by guessing the final word.  Not sure if husband is at genius yet, but now I can help him get to QB if he needs it!

cathwen

I got a different answer to yesterday's LB:  acquired and dowels.   But today's LB is confounding me.  I can get 3-fers, but the 2-fer is elusive.

As for SB, I got to genius--and a bit beyond--but not close to QB.  There was a word relating to calligraphy that was rejected, much to my annoyance.  I did find the pangram.

The hard sudoku was very hard, I thought.  I ended up making a guess, something I hate doing!  But I guessed right, and that enabled me to solve the whole thing. 

Ciao_yall, I do the extra Sunday puzzles, too.  I love Split Decisions!  I haven't started on that yet.  And I haven't done the Sunday crossword--at least, not all of it.  That will be this evening's entertainment.

Langue_doc

Yay for your QB, ab_grp!

I hope to make it to QB today. I keep trying lanai and liana, knowing that they're not going to be accepted.

Found a naughty word for LB, but no luck on a second one.

ciao_yall

Same here - lots of good 3fers but no 2fer yet.

reener06

Finally made it to genius. Giving up. That was rather hard for a Monday.

It is Monday, right? Losing track of days again.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on January 11, 2021, 08:59:47 AM

My husband kept trying atlatl yesterday, too! I keep wanting them to accept "nori", but I guess since it's the Japanese name for seaweed they might consider it foreign, even though there are other foreign food words in there.  And I keep thinking there will be some compound words with "data", like "datacard", but I guess that's two words.

Oh yeah, I wanted to complain about 'nori' too!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Glad I'm in good company, Parasaurolophus. 

Thanks, Langue_doc! If I were you, I would try those words you mentioned (at least one of them)... and I am wishing you much luck in getting to QB! And who knows, maybe you will find a naughty word mate yet in LB.

I am still at a loss for LB, too.  Lots of contenders but no mates that I can identify at this point.  And still no luck on the hard sudoku, though I'm glad (and sorry) that I am not the only one who found it difficult.  I'll just put it in a spare tab if need be.  I am making no headway.  I think I have 7 actual numbers entered, though a lot of candidates noted.  Only a couple minutes till I need to call it a day, so I'll give LB one last shot.

Langue_doc

Thanks, ab_grp! I tried both this morning, but must have mistyped, which sometimes happens on the kindle. That was my penultimate word, so I'm now QB.

Yay, reneer06, for making it to genius. I often find words by experimenting with the letters.

ETA Just got the two-fer. It wasn't the naughty word. Let me know if any of you would like a hint.

ciao_yall

Got some help online. I had one of the words, the other word made sense but I didn't quite realize it was a word.

Plenty of good J and C words, made some 3fers but hard to bring them into a 2fer. Curious what the official solution was.

Split decisions - finally found the top left hand corner so I can rest now.

Langue_doc

Not the official solution, but am happy with my disjoint and trifocal. I wouldn't have thought of fjord, not even if I had all week to come up with the official solution.

SB -- grrrr!  Found the pangram and made it to amazing.

ab_grp

Big congrats on your QB last night, Langue_doc! I'm glad you mentioned the words and tried again.  What was your final word? Mine was "caul".  And congrats on your 2-fer as well!

I think today's bee is pretty difficult so far.  I did get to genius +, about 78% so far, and found a pangram, but whoo.  Really struggling!! Not sure if there is another pangram, but from hinting back and forth it sounds like husband and I found the same one.  I will try to get to 90% before comparing, but that will require more points than I am currently certain I can get.  He's not at genius yet, so I have some time to work on it.

For LB yesterday, I was trying too many "join" words.  Nowhere near the solution.  I don't think I would have ever thought of fjord either.

Congrats on your genius too, reener06! Sorry I missed that yesterday!

Will try the sudokus today and see if something magical gives me bee words, but yikes.  Still have to look at LB today as well.   Hopefully more straightforward than yesterday.

ciao_yall

The solution I got was disjoint-trifocal, which I didn't realize was a thing. I had disjoint, conjoin, and even fjord. Never did come across dislocation or  location.

On to today's...

Almost had a 2fer except for the same side thing!

ab_grp

Argh about the same side stuff.  Good luck, ciao_yall! I have a couple contenders, but I don't think they're on the right track yet given the remaining letters.

We finally gave up on the bee and compared and still had 20+ points left.  There is a second pangram, FWIW. 

Got easy and medium sudoku done and am working on the hard one (and the hard one from yesterday) and then back to LB.

ciao_yall

Are we all having a hard time on bee? I'm usually at least at Amazing by the time my coffee gets cold. I'm still on Solid.

3fers coming along on LB. I need to work on that K for a while.

Regarding yesterday's LB, I did find "coital" - was that the naughty word Langue_Doc was referring to? There was another word, but for the same side thing, that was naughtier. I wouldn't expect men to be able to find it.

ETA: Got a 2fer!

Now to spend the rest of the day on the bee.

cathwen

I am also having a hard time with the Bee--stuck at Amazing.  I did get one pangram (apparently, there are two), which is a compound word. 

And LB is not coming together (3-fers, but no 2-fer). 

It's time to organize my mise en place for dinner, so I doubt that I'll get back to them tonight.  Oh well, can't win 'em all...