News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning!

LB: I got DISGUST-SCHMEAR, but then got the official solution with help from the comments board. But for the same side (B4SS) I would have also had GRADUATES-SCHEMATIC.

This morning already got a 3fer.

SB: Off to a start!

Langue_doc

I made it to QB! The pangram wasn't too bad. I just guessed the word, based on one that was familiar.

Posted by: Parasaurolophus
« on: Today at 08:54:02 AM »Insert Quote
I'm one point short of QB this morning, so I'm hoping to get there soon!

You guys are awfully good at these!

It's merely a matter of guessing, the way I did with today's pangram and a couple of other words (maybe one). All you have to do is play around with the letters and also try to remember earlier words based on these letters.

My last word today was one that I'd encountered not too long ago.

Posted by: ab_grp
« on: Today at 07:45:11 AM »Insert Quote
Good morning!

Sounds like your friend picked just the right wrapping paper, intentionally or not.  Bonus gift!

ETA: After a successful crossword run, I managed to make progress on the bee and identify the pangram and am one or two points from QB.  I suspect there is just one four-letter word left, but I can't find it! Will keep trying after some other puzzling adventures.

The wrapping paper was intentional. We send newspaper clippings back and forth.

You've probably found the last word; they're all familiar ones.

Good luck with LB, all. I found a long word, but couldn't find a word for the other letters, including the x.

ab_grp

It's neat that you send clippings back and forth, and congrats on QB! I found the final word, so QB for me, too!

No real luck with LB so far, but I got the medium sudoku in about 17 mins, which is not bad for me.  Still working on hard.

ciao_yall

SB - Hit genius with a wild guess.

LB - Plenty of 3fers and a few B4SSs so getting warm here.

Parasaurolophus

Ouf, finally found the bugger!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 14, 2021, 03:09:25 PM
Ouf, finally found the bugger!

Yahoo! Good hunting.

Ciao_yall, I'm sending you lots of good luck vibes to get the 2fer! I have a couple contenders, but I keep getting stuck with a couple letters remaining that don't seem to work together.  I got pretty close with one pair but for one extra dumb letter.

ciao_yall

Yeah, I have a hanging U or A.

I'll send you a PM. Maybe we have the same ones?

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 14, 2021, 04:44:20 PM

I sent my contenders and probably won't get a chance to get back to it, but I hope they might help you get a 2fer.  Given that we have the same main set, I feel like that has to be really close!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 14, 2021, 04:44:20 PM

I, too, have a hanging A. Argh.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning, all.

At some point, when the puzzle is no longer a fun endeavor, I give up, which is what happened with LB yesterday. No amount of effort on my part would have resulted in the official solutions. It was particularly frustrating as there were several -ing contenders.

SB--the pangram was my first word, and then made it to a point or so above genius. That's probably it for today. The words so far are those we all know. The last couple of words, a 4-letter one and a 5-letter one, are ones I've seen on at least two recent puzzles.

The crossword wasn't too bad for a Friday, nor were the sudokus.

Class prep calls, as does the vertex.

cathwen

I didn't get yesterday's LB, either.  But I got it today! Maybe not the official solution, but a solution.

I also made genius on today's SB, and may play with it throughout the day to see if QB materializes,  which it probably won't.  I'm a little annoyed that SB rejected a word for a certain animal of the southwest.  Yesterday, I came within two words of QB.  One of these days...

I haven't tackled the crossword yet.

And yes, class prep is calling me, too.  Maybe I'll only permit myself the crossword after I've done some prepping and feel in need of a reward.

ciao_yall

SB - hit genius this morning after a midnight water-bathroom-bee loop.

LB yesterday

The official solution STRIKEOUT-TAXING ? Okay, I got TAXING but I thought STRIKEOUT was 2 words. Oddly enough the commenters crowd did not get that one, either. They did get STROKING-GATEAUX which I thought would be a foreign word.

Yesterday the word SEXUATE was found which apparently means to determine the gender of a fowl. However, again the comments board had several solutions such as OKRA-ASEXUATING or GROK-ASEXUATING but ASEXUATING is not a word and the LB puzzle didn't take it when I tried it.

I had several B4SS* solutions: EXTENUATING-GROKS; EXONERATES; EXTENUATES-STROKING.

* But For the Same Side

On to today's. Yeah, it can be frustrating, but that *snap* when the first 3fer is achieved, and then the dopamine *jolt* when the 2fer is found continues to romance me. About like the slot machines in Vegas, but I don't have to put a nickel in my phone or sit next to some crazy old lady chainsmoking and drinking too many free screwdrivers.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Sorry we couldn't get the LB solution yesterday, despite our efforts! I felt like we were so close, but I don't think I would have tried STRIKEOUT, either.  If they would have taken STROKINGS, we could have had the SEXUATE mate.  Oh well.  I will take a look at today's in a few.  Congrats on the 2fer today, cathwen! I'm running out of paper so will have to start a new LB notebook.

For today's bee, I am at about 81% so far, but now I am struggling.  Got the pangram pretty quickly.  I think I know which word cathwen is referring to.  Tried that one, too! There are a couple crossword answers that aren't in there, which always bugs me, but I try them anyway.  Sounds like good progress all around, though.  Good luck to all of us.

Still have an old sudoku (or 2?) plus new ones to do.  I agree that the crossword was pretty easy for a Friday.  Hopefully I will find the sudokus to be easier than usual, too! At least I'm getting a bit more consistent about being able to solve mediums, though the hard ones are still a stretch at times.

By the way, my final bee word yesterday was "okra".  What did everyone else get last? After I got QB, husband was ready to throw in the towel with one word left.  It was "hoary", though he had "hoar".   Hate that!

ciao_yall

Today B4SS I would have had SCHTUP.

I keep myself amused...

ab_grp

Ha! The other day, the LB lent itself to numerous compound words that the creators apparently didn't find acceptable.  I had fun entering them anyway as my frustration grew.