News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

We missed nankeen (though I tried Nanking even though I knew that probably wouldn't work), kippa, and kepi.  I was hoping pannikin might finally be in there.  No luck.  I guess some archaic words > others.  Looks like 189 is Alpha Bee today.  I got to genius + and a pangram but am still 36 points away from Alpha!

Congrats on genius yesterday, Parasaurolophus! Good  luck today.

And congrats on genius + today, Langue_doc, and Alpha Bee yesterday! And a 2fer! Mine were EXTREME-EVALUATING.  I have a few contenders today but no real traction yet.

I have a problem in my dang crossword, so of course I am not sure if it's an error with one of my answers or a technical foul, the fun part of doing tricky puzzles on the app.  I will go back through and resolve it at some point.  Still have the hard sudoku to attempt.  I got through medium with some errors to fix late yesterday afternoon but was just too tired to do well on it.

Happy solving, one and all.

Parasaurolophus

Ah yes, I mean to note villein, too.

And yeah, I tried 'atlatl' again today, and 'lich' and 'elven' the other day. Sigh.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

LB yesterday - MIXER-REVALUATING. Today's looks sticky.

Also off to a slow start with SB.

In the hard copy of the paper I got the panagram first, and also finished the Patrick Berry puzzle in one go. Waiting for husband to start the Sunday Crossword so I can finish it - kind of our Sunday tradition.

I think he could finish them if he stayed focused, but he gets bored and wants to do other things.

ab_grp

Good luck with the bee, ciao_yall! It's got some kind of tough words.  I finally made it to exactly Alpha Bee, husband wanted to move on, so we compared and got to QB.  I cannot believe I missed a particular word, ironically, again.  But, at least that's conquered.  There were some words we both thought should be in there.

Also resolved the crossword, thankfully, by looking at the list view and seeing where there were some things I could change.  Now onto the hard sudoku and more LB attempts.

Langue_doc

Made it to just above Alpha Bee, but no pangram in sight, alas!

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 17, 2021, 01:00:36 PM
Made it to just above Alpha Bee, but no pangram in sight, alas!

Wow!! That is a lot of points to get without the pangram.  For a while, I had suspected there could be two, but there ended up just being the one.  I was lucky to see it pretty much right off the bat.  Good luck if you keep trying to find it, but yay for Alpha Bee in the meantime!

cathwen

Alpha Bee!  That is impressive, Langue_doc!  I am a good bit away from that, although I made genius and did find the pangram.  Maybe I'll get back to this later.

LB was more of a struggle today, but I finally did find a solution.  Yesterday I got extreme-evaluating.

ciao_yall

2fer in LB.

Found the panagram in SB but still stuck at "amazing." Then I find a few easy words... and still "amazing." GAH!

ETA - a hint and a few reminders from the Comments board, and "genius" is achieved,

Langue_doc

Congrats, all. I'm still stuck at Alpha Bee and no pangram, but tomorrow's crosswords are out, so goodbye LB and SB.

ciao_yall

The panagram on SB... I was just playing around. I didn't think it was a word and then boom.

Well, not boom, because that doesn't happen on the tame world of SB. I didn't even get a happy bee.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 17, 2021, 07:49:02 PM
The panagram on SB... I was just playing around. I didn't think it was a word and then boom.

Well, not boom, because that doesn't happen on the tame world of SB. I didn't even get a happy bee.

Weirdly, SB doesn't accept the variant of the pangram that you can spell with one letter less.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Morning, all.

Missed the pangram and 'atop' yesterday. Grrr! I'm missing the pangram today as well, but made it to genius.

Gave up on LB last night, and might probably do the same with today's puzzle. But I got the crossword and sudokus as usual, and also vertex.

Happy solving y'all.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I had some struggles with the bee today but finally managed to get to about 91% for Alpha Bee.  Not sure if I'll make it to QB, we'll see.  Took forever and a day to figure out the pangram at a good bit past genius, and then there were a bunch of pretty obvious words that I finally found.  Good luck! There are a couple words I think should be in there given other accepted answers, as usual.  Yesterday I thought allopath should have been included.

Never got the LB 2fer from yesterday.  I thought I had some good contenders with EMPHASIS and ESOPHAGUS.  Oh well.  Maybe today.  I had to start a new notebook for it.

I did the mini crossword last night to get it out of the way since husband doesn't do that one anyway.  Main crossword was pretty easy.  Still have today's hard sudoku to attempt.

ciao_yall

Today's LB doesn't give us a lot of room to maneuver. A few good contenders that eat up a lot of letters, but can't quite pair them up.

SB - going okay. Not taking a few words it seems it should. Stuck at "great" for now but I'll pick it up later.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Hit "genius" and accidentally tripped over the LB solution while on the NYT Crosswords Board looking for hints on the SB.

The 2fer solution is a weird one, IMHO. Not sure I would have gotten it on my own - another one of those compound words that you don't think of as being a word.

LB lately it seems to set up single 2fers as the solution instead of multiples, which is kind of fun as people find different ones. Today's didn't leave much to work with - lots of B4SS issues.