News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Eight past genius this morning, but haven't found the pangram yet.
I know it's a genus.

reener06

Got to Genius and then finally got the pangram. Still 3 or 4 words short of QB and may just give up.

ciao_yall

2fer in LB,

Well into genius in SB and still no panagram. Heading to the comments board to see if anything shakes loose with their hints. I like them because they start off slow instead of giving too much away too soon.

ETA: Okay, got the panagram. 2 odd words I can't deduce, even from the hints from the Comments board. QB is sooooo overrated.

ab_grp

I guess I must have just gotten lucky with the word list today to get to QB.  Still wishing everyone luck!

No real progress on LB, yet, and I still have to try to finish today's hard sudoku before tomorrow's come out.  Too many things on the non-puzzle to-do list today.

ETA: Meant to say congrats on the LB 2fer, ciao_yall!

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on January 30, 2021, 02:30:16 PM
I guess I must have just gotten lucky with the word list today to get to QB. Still wishing everyone luck!

No real progress on LB, yet, and I still have to try to finish today's hard sudoku before tomorrow's come out.  Too many things on the non-puzzle to-do list today.

There is no luck, only talent.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 30, 2021, 02:50:50 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on January 30, 2021, 02:30:16 PM
I guess I must have just gotten lucky with the word list today to get to QB. Still wishing everyone luck!

There is no luck, only talent.

Thanks, but I will trade you some bee talent for some LB talent!

Langue_doc

I can PM you a hint, ab_grp, if you'd like one.

QB today, on the crossword now.

ab_grp

Sorry I didn't see your offer of a hint, Langue_doc! And congrats on QB!  Crossword wasn't too bad, though from the comments it didn't seem as though it was too well received.  There were a couple iffy clues/answers, in my opinion.

I managed to get to QB before we finished our coffee again.  I'm sure that streak will not continue.  But, hopefully it leaves more time for LB today.  And I have to do all the sudokus.  Yesterday was too busy.   

ciao_yall

SB - yesterday I missed CICHLID which is apparently a type of fish. Well, now I know.

LB - my words were ABJURES-STALAGMITE. Not the official solution but I did find JUGULAR and words similar to RESUBMIT (REMIT, REBATES, REGULARITIES, SUBMERGE, SUBJUGATE, SEBUM.)

Hard copy papers today so won't get to the electronic versions for a while.

Happy Sunday! 

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Congrats, Parasaurolophus! I actually thought yesterday's was easier.  Today's was, but it also had a bunch of what I would consider bee or crossword words. 

Ciao_yall, cichlid is the one my husband missed yesterday, too.  Your LB 2fer from yesterday seems more sophisticated than the official solution.

At least I managed to get a 2fer today! If I hadn't messed up the medium sudoku, today would have been a victorious puzzle day.  Oh well, I'll see how hard the hard one is later.

ciao_yall

Genius, 2fer, and husband hasn't even started the Sunday crossword puzzle yet.

Time for a post-brunch nap.

Langue_doc

Greetings, all. Decided to take a nap after a spurt of activity in the morning.

SB yesterday: got hilled because I was trying out the past tense suffix with all the words--didn't even think that hilled would be accepted. I remembered cichlid from an earlier puzzle--had to try out several spellings before finding the right one.

Today's SB was more difficult. Although I found the pangram early on, it took me a while to get to genius. I'm probably around Alpha Bee, and have given up for now. SB wouldn't take brolly or boro, the latter a perfectly good NYC word. Surprising that the NYT doesn't allow it--not surprising after all as the NYT publishes local news only after seeing it on the Post and the Daily News.

LB yesterday--jugular just jumped out at me, and then resubmit. I'd been using the latter word last week, asking students to resubmit assignments that weren't properly formatted or didn't follow the directions. I'm not sure if I'll get to today's as I'm behind with course work.

The crossword dragged, but I completed it, the mini, and the sudokus last night.

Congrats on the QB ab_grp, and the two-fers ab_grp and ciao_yall.

cathwen

Queen for a day!  For the second time ever, I got to QB today.  Congratulations to ab_grp and Langue_doc for making QB yesterday.  I made Beta Bee yesterday and then gave up.

My LB yesterday was different from the official solution--I got materials-subjugate.  I did see jugular, but did not figure out resubmit.  I got a 2-fer today, too. 

I though the hard sudoku was more difficult than usual today.  I got it eventually, but it took a good while.

ab_grp

Lots of accomplishments and naps all around!

Congratulations on 2fers, ciao_yall and cathwen.  Way to go on QB, cathwen! Langue_doc, congrats on Alpha (or more...)! Congrats on genius to ciao_yall, and I hope you enjoyed the crossword when your husband finished his role in it.

Regarding "hilled", I have learned the hard way to pretty much try every available prefix and suffix with ever possible root, though I forget at times. 

Oh yeah! I keep forgetting to mention... seems like Android users may now have some other puzzles (vertex, tiles, sudoku, but not LB) in their apps? Husband does.  Not me on my iOS, unfortunately, though I would only do LB on there.    I also noticed on the website puzzle page where I do LB and sudoku that there is a monthly bonus crossword? I don't think I've ever noticed that before.  I will give that one a try tomorrow to see what kind of difficulty level it's aimed at.  I don't see that one in my app, either.