Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on February 09, 2021, 04:55:58 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on February 09, 2021, 04:50:55 PM
Quote from: ciao_yall on February 09, 2021, 04:17:48 PM
Lots of 3fers, no 2fer yet. Lots of tricky letters and I haven't found the one that gobbles up enough of them to make a 2fer.

I'll send you my hints (with space in case).  Good luck!

Thanks! Once you pointed out the first word, I had already found the second word. Woohoo!

I too had the second word along with others containing the q. Thanks for the hint ab_grp, as it helped me get the first word.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on February 09, 2021, 06:36:17 PM
Quote from: ciao_yall on February 09, 2021, 04:55:58 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on February 09, 2021, 04:50:55 PM
Quote from: ciao_yall on February 09, 2021, 04:17:48 PM
Lots of 3fers, no 2fer yet. Lots of tricky letters and I haven't found the one that gobbles up enough of them to make a 2fer.

I'll send you my hints (with space in case).  Good luck!

Thanks! Once you pointed out the first word, I had already found the second word. Woohoo!

I too had the second word along with others containing the q. Thanks for the hint ab_grp, as it helped me get the first word.

Yay and congrats! Sounds like you were both headed in the right direction anyway.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Langue_doc on February 09, 2021, 01:09:09 PM

cathwen, I think I know the elusive word; it's something that would come to mind if you're an outdoors person.

I remembered this hint when I woke up in the middle of the night and said "Oh, sh$t". My apologies, cathwen. I still can't figure out how I confused 'hike' with 'hitchhike'--probably because I haven't been on any hikes with any of the outdoors groups in such a long time.

Made it to genius today, and have yet to look at LB.

Happy solving, all.

cathwen

Thanks, Langue_doc, even if it wasn't the hint you meant to send.  I did not find hitchhike, but I am happy enough just to have come within one point of QB for the second day in a row—an improvement over past performance.  Not sure how today will go!  I've gotten to Amazing so far.  Congratulations on Genius!

I got the official solution to LB yesterday—HAZARDOUS-SQUEAKY—and found a 2-fer today on my first try, which almost never happens. 

ciao_yall

Quote from: cathwen on February 10, 2021, 06:37:38 AM
Thanks, Langue_doc, even if it wasn't the hint you meant to send.  I did not find hitchhike, but I am happy enough just to have come within one point of QB for the second day in a row—an improvement over past performance.  Not sure how today will go!  I've gotten to Amazing so far.  Congratulations on Genius!

I got the official solution to LB yesterday—HAZARDOUS-SQUEAKY—and found a 2-fer today on my first try, which almost never happens.

You nearly always have a 2fer before I have poured my first cup of coffee!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I thought hitchhike was pretty tough.  There are so many compound or compound-ish words they don't accept, and it's unusual to have HH back to back.  My final word was kinetic, but I think hitchhike was probably penultimate.

Got to 182 today, still 6 or so points from Alpha, and am stumped so will do other stuff for a bit and hope something comes to me.  Got some sudokus and LB to do, or at least try.

Congrats on your quick 2fer, cathwen! You certainly have a knack for LB!

And congrats on genius so far, Langue_doc!

ab_grp

Well, I got a 2fer! Guessing it is probably not the official solution, but who knows.  Victory!

Got medium sudoku done, now time for a break and another attempt at the bee.

ciao_yall

2fer counts, ab_grp! Official, schmofficial.

Genius on SB.

Still fooling with LB today, will play some more later.

Thanks to ab_grp I got the 2fer. SQUEAKY came early, but I was stuck on RAZOR for my Z word and somehow HAZARD never popped out. Funny because I had a boss whose last name was Hazard, many years ago.

ab_grp

Yeah, I am always happy to get a 2fer, but when it seems to possibly be unofficial I figure it might be worth mentioning so in case that indicates there could be several solutions/opportunities.  Thanks!! Also very welcome on the help.  Usually I am on the receiving end!

And congrats on genius, ciao_yall!

I did manage to get to Alpha + (194), but I am really stumped on what else could be in the bee.  I found a couple words that I probably should have already gotten, so maybe there are others like that, but I am having a hard time figuring it out.

Still struggling with the hard sudoku, naturally.

ab_grp

And finally got to QB.  I had gotten up to 199, then had to have a meeting I foolishly set up with my co-author (taking time away from puzzles!), went to have a break after, and bam.  Saw the final word.  Still totally flummoxed on hard sudoku, however.

ciao_yall

2-fer, yay. Messy but I'll keep it.

Langue_doc

Finally made it to QB. The words were all familiar ones. I don't think I'll be able to tackle LB as I'm getting ready for a long Zoom session and tomorrow's crosswords soon after that.

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall! Looking forward to seeing the assorted LB solutions tomorrow and which is considered schmofficial.

Congrats on QB, Langue_doc!

cathwen

Good morning! 

So what did everyone get for yesterday's LB?  The "official" solution was POETIC-CAULDRON, but I got PLATONIC-CURDLE. 

I found a 2-fer on today's after some hair-pulling.  I hate it when E and R are on the same side! 

I missed inclining and clinician on yesterday's SB, which is annoying, because I should have seen them.  Today's SB is...coming along.  I'm at amazing.  Not so sure I'll make genius today, but who knows! 

Congratulations on yesterday's QBs, Langue_doc and ab_grp! 

ciao_yall

LB - I got PONE-ELUCIDATOR.

Yesterday's New Yorker came with a crossword puzzle so plenty of diversions for today!