News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Morning!

Today's LB is appropriate for today's theme. Got the two-fer without much effort.

Stuck on genius.

ab_grp, hope the roads aren't too treacherous for your valentine.

ab_grp

Thanks for the good thoughts, Langue_doc.  I am really crossing my fingers that he doesn't have to go.  And thank you for the hint! I was wondering if it would be day-appropriate, and your hint easily led me to a 2fer!  I had been chasing down several contenders in the wrong direction, so yay!

ciao_yall

SB yesterday wouldn't take "boffin."

LB - My illegal solution was JEWEL-LITHOGRAM. Lithogram is a thing per Google but the puzzle wouldn't take it, and it isn't in the dictionary. I also spent a lot of time playing with MAHARAJA. 

On to today's...

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ciao_yall on February 14, 2021, 09:27:23 AM

LB - My illegal solution was JEWEL-LITHOGRAM.

Mine, too! Grrr.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Genius, 2fer, achieved.

"Logarithm" was a tricky one with the 3 consonants in a row. At one point logjam was a contender, b4ss.

Okay, time to fetch the old-school papers and get my puzzles on!

ab_grp

I think the illegal solution should be accepted.  Congrats! Yep, the ones with consonants in a row like that can definitely be hard to spot.

Finally got to Alpha, barely, at 189.  It would be nice to have an E.

cathwen

Happy Valentine's Day, fellow word puzzle lovers!

I clawed my way to Beta yesterday on SB before giving up.  Although I got belief, oddly, I missed nonbelief, the one pangram! 

Today's SB is at genius, with dim hopes of getting further.  We'll see.  I did, at least, get the pangram.  Ab_grp, congratulations on Alpha!

As for LB, I got yesterday's "official" solution.  But I also vote to make LITHOGRAM acceptable!  Phooey on the LB judges! 

Yesterday, I got  LOGARITHM first, and then JEWEL popped out at me.  I got today's LB with its season-appropriate theme. 

ab_grp

Cathwen, Beta is great, and they are so inconsistent about what non- and en- words they will take, as well as what suffixes are acceptable with which roots.  It is quite irksome.  Husband and I were just talking recently about which non- words they tend to take, and they seem usually to be words in which the non- is required (e.g., nonchalant, nonillion, nonagaon, nonagonal).  Now nonbelief? I am in disbelief. ;-)

We finally gave up and compared lists so we could move on, and we still had a couple words to look up.  Missed a couple easy ones that we usually get, as well as one that is slightly more obscure, but definitely not unknown or too, too unfamiliar. 

ciao_yall

This morning: Bee - genius. LB - 3fer. But ouch.

cath_wen, thinking about your approach from yesterday. I tend to attack the hard letters like J and W and see what emerges. You went the opposite route. So today with an X and a Z maybe that will work better?

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Bee has gone pretty quickly, but I still have one four-letter word left until QB! Argh!! Husband caught up and only has one five-letter word left, so we each have each other's words but won't compare just yet.  I figure we should each be able to figure out the remaining word.  Maybe!

Rex P. again said that the crossword was harder than a typical Monday.  This time I might agree due to some of the crosses.  I think it probably took about a minute more than average Monday.  Not too bad, though once some things became evident.

Looks like some fun letters on LB, and I still have today's hard sudoku to start.

Have fun!

Parasaurolophus

Easy Bee fr me, too. Now to try LB.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Got a 2fer just now. That was faster than expected.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on February 15, 2021, 08:49:34 AM
Rex P. again said that the crossword was harder than a typical Monday.  This time I might agree due to some of the crosses.  I think it probably took about a minute more than average Monday.  Not too bad, though once some things became evident.

I got thru the puzzle pretty quickly except had one wrong letter. Darn Hawaiians...

cathwen

I'm one point from Alpha on SB, but LB came pretty easily in spite of the X and Z.   

Yesterday, I actually got BUTCHER-ROMANTIC first, and then saw ROMANTIC-CHERUB, more in keeping with the Valentine's Day theme!

Ciao_yall, congratulations on your 2-fer, and also to those who are near QB!

Langue_doc

Morning!

Genius, crossword and vertex done.

Back to grading.