News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Congrats on all the bee progress.  Sounds like you got to QB, Parasaurolophus! I finally got my remaining word after trying all possible combos I could think of.  None of them worked, then I looked at it again and saw the pretty obvious word.  Husband also managed to get his remaining word.  Yay!

Cathwen, congrats on already getting a 2fer today and two 2fers yesterday! No progress on that front yet, but I finished the hard sudoku so will go give it a try.  It's great to be so close to Alpha.  I see QB in your future.

And congrats to ciao_yall on the quick 2fer as well!

Langue_doc

Morning!

Missed gavage and uvea yesterday. As for today's puzzle, made it to 211.

LB: hazelnut and toxic; today's doesn't look too bad, but haven't spent much time on it.

Happy solving, everyone.

ciao_yall

Morning! Also got hazelnut and toxic as well. Hit QB yesterday with some help from the comments board.

cathwen

Good morning!  So, did we all get the official answer yesterday for LB?  I did, too.  I found an answer for today's LB, but the second word seems iffy to me--however, LB accepted it, so who am I to complain. 

Ciao_yall, congratulations on QB!  I missed gavage, uvea, and uveal.  Today I'm at amazing, but have a good way to go until genius.  It's beginning to feel a little sloggy.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I didn't get any solution yesterday, though I did have hazel.  That was my only z contender, most focused on x, but not toxic.  Congrats on all the 2fers yesterday and to cathwen for already getting one today!  I will take a look later.

Yesterday my final word was eave.  Geez louise.  Haven't really started today's.  You are kicking but already, Langue_doc! And congrats on being so close yesterday.  Congrats to ciao_yall as well!

Time for coffee crossword.   Hopefully I can wake up and learn to spell again.  I think I spelled 'good' wrong about 12 times above.

ab_grp

I finally gave up on the bee after having gotten to 226 (~87%) and no pangram.  Husband had struggled early on, then passed me and kept on going all the way to QB hours ago.  He had to tell me the first letter of the pangram, and then I finally got it.  And I still have two words left, but he told me the first letters and how many letters each.  Not sure I will come up with them! Today is obviously not my bee day! Hopefully everyone else had better luck.

At least I did rock the sudokus with no errors and in record times for me, but they were probably easy.

I feel very close to a solution on LB so will try a little more on that.

ETA: Okay, finally got a 2fer on my 80th contender, and not the one that I thought was going to lead me to a victory.

Langue_doc

ab_grp, don't give up yet. Three are some compounds, and only one difficult word. We've seen most of the words in other puzzles.

Just made it to QB; the last word was a familiar one--I often miss very obvious words.

At some point I have to look at LB.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc! Wow.  And thanks for the encouragement.  I will keep trying on the remaining two words.  Apparently one is a challenge, and husband found it by mistake (trying to type something else).  Yeek.  That might be the difficult one you're referring to.  Guess we can see tomorrow.  My hat is off to you! Good luck on the LB when you get to it.

Langue_doc

A couple of the compounds are irregular plurals, if that's of any help. Are the missing words long, short, or medium?

ciao_yall

Today:

Genius, no pangram. The official word is pangram? All this time I have been saying panagram.

2fer, but probably not official but at least some fun words.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on February 16, 2021, 05:20:35 PM
A couple of the compounds are irregular plurals, if that's of any help. Are the missing words long, short, or medium?

I ended up figuring them out, finally! All the help really helped! Thanks!

Langue_doc

Morning!

Genius on SB; didn't get around to LB last night, as I got distracted by a show on TV and then the sudokus and crosswords.

Haven't looked at LB yet. There's the crossword to complete and more words on SB.

ciao_yall, I too would alternate between panagram and pangram.

Happy solving, all.

cathwen

Wow, congratulations on the QB yesterday, Langue_doc and ab_grp!  I am impressed.  I got to amazing, and then got distracted by other things.  When I looked at the solution, I could see a lot of obvious words that I should have seen right away.

I'm at genius in today's SB so far, so at least there's that!

My solution for LB yesterday was LANGUOROUS-STOMPY.  Yes, I know--LB accepted stompy, but rejected lithogram?  I much prefer the "official" solution of PLUG-GASTRONOMY.  I wish I'd seen gastronomy!

My LB solution today is much more normal. 

All other puzzles are done except for the crossword.  Onward and upward...

ab_grp

Good morning!

I wouldn't consider mine a pure QB yesterday, but at least I finally got linnet and beltline.  I am sure I tried them before.  Oh well.  I'm at 102 now, so four points from Alpha.  Tough puzzle again.  Definite congrats to Langue_doc!! And congrats on the geniuses so far today!

I had POLYAMOROUS-STRONG yesterday.  I was sure SYMPTOM(S) was the right track, but no cigar.  Gastronomy is a good one! Congrats on your 2fers yesterday and today, cathwen!

Did the crosswords and have to do sudoku and look at today's LB.

Enjoy!

ciao_yall

SB - after hitting genius I checked in from time to time trying to come up with a pangram. Finally hit on it at 2:30 AM when it occurred to me and managed to sneak in before the puzzle changed.

LB - I got GLAMOROUS-SMARTYPANTS, which I'm sure all of us on this thread have been called from time to time. But POLYAMOROUS does sound more fun than that, even!