News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

You're welcome! I figured that word was a reasonable guess.  As for the baobab, I don't recall hearing much about that as an ingredient before, so maybe there is some sort of trend.  It's the meyer lemon, fiddlehead fern, or ramps of haircare.   I guess birria tacos are more the "it" food these days.

Parasaurolophus

I'm still two words short of QB, but probably unfocusing my eyes at the end of the day will yield them. There's a four-letter word (how?!) and a five-letter (probably the same as yours, ab_grp).
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Some stuff headed in your direction...

Langue_doc

Morning!

Made it to genius today. There's probably a second pangram lurking somewhere.

LB preamble/equality.

Happy solving.

ETA two-fer today, an easy one

ab_grp

Good morning!

Just got into the bee while brushing teeth, so I'm at 140 with coffee on the way.  One pangram down, but I will keep an eye out for possible others.  Especially with the number of points!

Thanks again for the LB help, Langue_doc! And congrats on your 2fer today!

ciao_yall

LB - preamble-equity. Why do it sometimes seem that the LB folks are sending messages? 3fers but 2fer is close I can feel it.

SB - Genius this morning already. Yesterday I thought I got "glug" but it wasn't checked.

ab_grp

It did kind of seem like a message! I was also hoping to get somewhere with reliquary yesterday.  Good luck with the 2fer! I think husband initially missed glug.  Our final missing word was butyl.

Coffee seemed to help a bit.  I'm at 227 now, so Alpha, but not sure about QB.  Still sudokus to do and LB to try.

ETA: I have not found a second pangram and only have about 19 points left.  There could be one, still.  I thought I had found one, but it wasn't accepted.

Parasaurolophus

Grr, 'butyl'. It was all I had left for QB.

Made it to genius today, will try to work up to QB again. Haven't looked at LB yet.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Sorry butyl managed to elude you, Parasaurolophus! Good luck on the bee today!

I made a little more progress, now at 239.  So 6 or 7 points left? No additional pangrams were identified.  Did get all the sudokus completed successfully.  No LB contenders yet, but I will work on that for a bit now.

ab_grp

Update: Got to QB! Husband still has one word to go.  Good luck!

I still have to try to make some headway on LB.

cathwen

I missed butyl and tutti yesterday.  I tried glug, but it didn't "take" at first—maybe I mistyped?  Then later I tried again, and it was accepted. 

I'm at genius on today's SB.  I'll keep trying for more.  According to nytbee.com, there is only one pangram despite the high point value—maximum 245!!  Congratulations to those who are already at Alpha!  And a special congratulations to ab_grp for making QB!  Woo-hoo!

LB:  Yesterday I got preamble-equality.  And I found a 2-fer today. 

Langue_doc

They're all easily recognizable words today--no butyl, baobab, or similar torture-inducing words. As ciao_yall and cathwen mentioned, often words that you thought were accepted turned out not to have been entered by the program. I had to spend almost half an hour to track the last three missing words which turned out to be words that I had entered on the kindle, but had disappeared. It was only after I went through the list on my computer that I realized that these words didn't show up and that I had actually found all the words. I found the puzzle a bit difficult as it took me a long time to find today's words despite their familiarity.

Congrats on the two-fers and  QB, and good luck getting to be Queen. It's only 47 words.

ab_grp, thanks for the pangram information. It helped me plod on. LB words are easy ones, easier than yesterday's 'preamble'.

ciao_yall

I have a 2fer today but I don't think it's the official one. Oh well, it counts and I'm keeping it. Strange compound word, but it only reuses the "E" so it's pretty clean.

Langue_doc

Who gets to decide that grackles/stony is more official than locks/strangely or cognates/skylark? Not the NYT, in mho.

Quote from: ciao_yall on February 27, 2021, 01:35:29 PM
I have a 2fer today but I don't think it's the official one. Oh well, it counts and I'm keeping it. Strange compound word, but it only reuses the "E" so it's pretty clean.

Mine's a different word--a very common compound word, one that we're all familiar with.

ETA Responding to ciao_yall

I don't even know what a "grackle" is.

It's a rather noisy unprepossessing bird, quite common in Central Park and other parks in NYC. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Grackle/id

ciao_yall

I don't even know what a "grackle" is.

Today I was annoyed with the Bee because it took certain foreign words that I never use. But not another that is, while maybe not an everyday word, actually shows up on restaurant menus.