News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Thanks for the SB juju, ab_grp! I finally got to QB.  Yippee!

ab_grp

Hooray, cathwen! Yay! Congrats! I am guessing we might all have had the same word haunting us, but I guess we'll see tomorrow.

ciao_yall

Argh. So close on a 2fer but so far away...

I went to the online solver and none of their words even took!

Langue_doc

Morning!

Last word yesterday was venule, which I found by rearranging the letters ad infinitum--still don't know what it means.
Made it to genius today, with an easy pangram.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning, all! 

Oddly, on yesterday's SB, I had gotten venule early on by rearranging the letters kind of randomly.  I didn't know that word, either, but apparently it is a small blood vessel.  My last word was levee, which for some reason had not popped out at me, as it is not an unusual word. 

Yesterday's LB:  I had the "official" answer, viewership-plumb.. What did everyone else get?

Today, I was up unusually early, and so started the puzzles earlier than usual.  I'm at Beta on SB and have found a 2-fer on LB.  But now I have to get to work.

Langue_doc

Congrats on the two-fer! There are probably several possibilities today, as I just found a couple of two-fers.

ciao_yall

Thanks to  ab_grp telling me to relook at one of my 3fers I ended up with viewership-plumb which I don't think was the direction s/he was pointing me, but hey, official solution.

LB - woke up at 4 am, already have a few b2ss 2fers so hope a little coffee will knock things loose. ETA: 2fer!

Happy solving, y'all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

My LB was VIEWERSHIPS-SUBLIME.  Sorry about the hints sent from my phone last night, ciao_yall, but I'm glad you got to a solution, and it was the official one!

Congrats on your 2fers today, all of you! I will take a look at today's later and will hopefully also have some success.

My last word yesterday was venue, with venule right before it.  Today I'm at Alpha, barely, 87 points.  Took a while to find the pangram.  Husband is a point from genius with no pangram, so he should catch up quickly once he gets it.  Glad to hear the bee is going in the right direction for everyone!

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on March 03, 2021, 09:09:52 AM
Good morning!

My LB was VIEWERSHIPS-SUBLIME.  Sorry about the hints sent from my phone last night, ciao_yall, but I'm glad you got to a solution, and it was the official one!

Congrats on your 2fers today, all of you! I will take a look at today's later and will hopefully also have some success.

My last word yesterday was venue, with venule right before it.  Today I'm at Alpha, barely, 87 points.  Took a while to find the pangram.  Husband is a point from genius with no pangram, so he should catch up quickly once he gets it.  Glad to hear the bee is going in the right direction for everyone!

I didn't understand you were trying to hint "sublime" when you were talking about going from a solid to a gas? I was like vaporize, steam, melt...

Oh well. At genius, found a few 2fers so off to get my first COVID-19 vaccine!

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 03, 2021, 09:56:40 AM
Good morning!

I didn't understand you were trying to hint "sublime" when you were talking about going from a solid to a gas? I was like vaporize, steam, melt...

The first one has no after effects, but I would suggest scheduling the second one on a Friday in case you need to recuperate.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 03, 2021, 09:56:40 AM
Good morning!

Sorry about that! I first thought of the band Sublime but then thought of sublimate.  Good luck with your vaccine! Do you know which one you're getting? Husband has had a strange set of coincidental luck getting one scheduled this week (tomorrow).   I have heard of some folks having side effects from the first one, but mostly painful arm and heavy fatigue.  As Langue_doc noted, the second one seems to take some more recovery.  Hope it goes well!

Oh yeah I got to QB!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

ETA: quote didn't work--this is ab_grp's post

Good luck with your vaccine! Do you know which one you're getting? Husband has had a strange set of coincidental luck getting one scheduled this week (tomorrow).   I have heard of some folks having side effects from the first one, but mostly painful arm and heavy fatigue.  As Langue_doc noted, the second one seems to take some more recovery.  Hope it goes well!

Oh yeah I got to QB!
[/quote]

This is mine:
Congrats on getting to QB, ab_grp.

Today's puzzle wasn't too bad. I was stuck on the last 7 points and couldn't decide if I should look for a 5 or 6 letter word and one or two short ones as I didn't think there could be more than a few 4-letter words. Found the word eventually. SB wouldn't accept logoff or feal--the latter probably archaic.

As for the vaccine, I had no effects from the first one other than some soreness on the site. During the second one, the nurse gave me a list of after-effects to watch for and also informed me that she and the others administering the vaccines were required to give patients this information. This time I had no symptoms for at least 24 hours following the vaccine, but then had a high fever, fatigue, and other symptoms of the flu. My physician's practice is affiliated with a large medical provider downstate, so the practice sent the patients who qualified for the vaccine a link to the website where you could choose your site and the date/time. On both occasions I got the shot as soon as I walked in which was before my scheduled time. We could also choose between Moderna and Pfizer.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc! It sounds as if you and I might have had the same final word.

I have a good LB contender but need to find a mate.  Or ditch this one given that it sounds as though there are multiple solutions.

I think husband is getting Pfizer tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.  We will probably order some delivery tonight to have an easy dinner ready for tomorrow just in case.  Mainly for me so I don't have to have a sad PBJ if he gets the fatigue and goes to bed early. ;-)

Langue_doc

Good idea to be prepared not to cook. I got the Pfizer because of the recommendation of a virologist friend, but the doctor's office didn't think that one was better than the other.

Sending hint in a few minutes.

cathwen

Finally made QB!  The last two words were not terribly common.   

I get my first vaccine tomorrow—I think it's Moderna.  Since I usually have a mild reaction to flu shots, I imagine I'll have one to this one, too.  My husband got his first shot last week—Pfizer.  His arm was sore for a couple of days,  but that was all.