News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cycling to work

Started by tuxedo_cat, July 11, 2019, 08:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on September 27, 2022, 05:22:15 PM
I'd love to do this. I have a nice bike and am close enough to campus that I could do it. But I'd be a sweaty mess.

Yes, that is a consideration. I'm lucky enough that my building has a single-unit bathroom on the third floor, so I can lock the door, strip down, and wipe myself off before getting dressed in work clothes. It's cool enough here that the sweat is pretty minimal, but on warm days I'd need to think carefully about whether a few damp paper towels would do the trick. It would be much more difficult if my building only had multi-stall bathrooms without a sink in the stall.

If I weren't still being covid-cautious I'd probably re-up my gym membership and have a quick shower there, but since I am it's paper towels in the bathroom for me.

downer

I don't cycle to work, but I do sometimes cycle to the train station to get the train to work.

I had a old bike in poor condition that I kept for the purpose, so thieves would not be tempted to steal it. But they stole it anyway last month. I need to get another clunker now for my "train bike."
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

WidgetWoman

Re: the sweaty mess thing. That's why I got an e-bike. My campus decided to double the number of occupants in one space, and made room for it by removing parking spots. I only live a mile away but in a super hilly area and I sweat like CRAZY. The e-bike makes the hills feel like a straight-away, so I can roll into campus and be work-appropriate AND not have to fight for parking. Win!

downer

What kind of ebike did you get? I think about getting one occasionally. I need to do some research on that.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

WidgetWoman

Quote from: downer on October 04, 2022, 10:23:33 AM
What kind of ebike did you get? I think about getting one occasionally. I need to do some research on that.

I got a Trek Verve. It was pricey, but I'm also super short (so that limits the number of models that work well for me) and this is also the first bike I've gotten in 35 years. I anticipate this will be the last bike I buy.

Love it. My only regret? I wish I would've held out for the pretty red color.

ergative

Miserable weather this week, so I've been taking public transit. It's ghastly: the bus is twice as slow as biking (had to wait 20-30 minutes at the stop each direction because the promised bus didn't come), and the more expensive, faster route is not really any faster than biking, and there's a connection between subway and train that is awkward and the train only comes once an hour so I almost missed it today. Tomorrow's only supposed to be light rain; I'm seriously considering just biking anyway.

mamselle

I'm remembering Octo peeling on a cycling/racing suit with (?maybe) a raincoat over it, locking her office door, peeling it off, putting it in a drawer in her filing cabinet, in a waterproof bag, and changing to the clothes she kept on a hook behind the door (which never showed, being behind the door.)

At least, I think that's how she resolved it...maybe even in all weathers?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on October 04, 2022, 03:12:26 PM
I'm remembering Octo peeling on a cycling/racing suit with (?maybe) a raincoat over it, locking her office door, peeling it off, putting it in a drawer in her filing cabinet, in a waterproof bag, and changing to the clothes she kept on a hook behind the door (which never showed, being behind the door.)

M.

Yes, I've got the clothes-on-the-door-hook setup too! My problem is that I need glasses, so biking in the rain is really brutal for visibility. I'm definitely thinking about the options, though...

paultuttle

Quote from: ergative on October 05, 2022, 02:22:38 AM
Quote from: mamselle on October 04, 2022, 03:12:26 PM

M.

Yes, I've got the clothes-on-the-door-hook setup too! My problem is that I need glasses, so biking in the rain is really brutal for visibility. I'm definitely thinking about the options, though...

Like the "Impervius" charm that Hermione used on Harry's glasses so he could see the Snitch during a particularly rainy Quidditch match?

:grins:

:runs and hides:

apl68

As usual, I rode to work this morning so that I could ride downtown to get the payroll signed at the Mayor's office and run other errands.  It felt chilly riding to work.  Two hours later, when running the errands, it felt great out!

No advice for wet-weather riding, which I deal with by avoiding.  I've been caught in rain on a motorcycle several times (mostly on the same trip down Florida to Key West).  That was pretty hairy.  Frog Togs motorcycle rain gear helped out.  At bicycle speeds it would probably keep you pretty dry.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

ergative

As the days shorten, I've upped my gear with a hi-visibility jacket (not waterproof, but I can always layer underneath it) and new bike lights. For a while I was considering getting a sun visor for my helmet, but now ([insert hollow laugh here]) that won't be a problem for the next six months.

The real gear purchase that sparks joy these days is my bell. The pedestrians here are very, very well trained to respond to bike bells. In Grad-School City Post-Doc-ville, I would just holler 'passing on your right!' and that would do the trick, but here that just makes people stand still in perplexity. But when I let loose with my almighty 'TINGGGG' they scatter. True power lies in a bike bell.