News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow2

Same here.  Someone said the sun would come out tomorrow. My rain gauge says 5 inches in 6 days, and we escaped any wind

mamselle

Wet. Drippy.

Supposed to warm up tomorrow.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

The first light frosts of the fall were Friday night and Saturday night. I threw a sheet over the pepper plants (which are still loaded with green peppers that i hope will ripen to red and orange before I have to pull them up; the sweet red bonnet is blooming like mad--too late, though!) and a light cover on the houseplants nestled by the wall.  I didn't bring them in yet, because we're forecast to have temps into the mid 70s through next week.

Of course, it's forecast to be in the low 80s today, with storms tomorrow and Wednesday, highs in the upper 70s--then highs below 60 by the end of the week.  Typical St. Louis......

apl68

Saturday was very nice--a perfect day for our local festival.  Yesterday was fairly mild.  And for the next week, heat, heat, and more heat.  Far into the 80s every day, with some days in the up-per 80s--which almost certainly means the low 90s.  It appears that we simply are not going to get a fall season this year.  I suspect we'll barely even see frost during the coming "winter" months.

We're also now in a drought, with scarcely any chance of rain in the extended forecast.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

EEeekk....sorry to hear that, apl68.

We're getting chillier PM temps, not much more rain, but I'd be happy to ship some of the cooler air your way.

Wearing my woolies for the first time this season....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

In the past couple of days we've abruptly gone from summer weather--temperatures in the 80s--to the first honest-to-goodness chilly fall day we've had so far this year.  Tonight we have a frost alert!  It would be the first frost we've had before late November in years.  Then by week's end we'll be up to the 80s again, for some days.

Last week, while attending a conference on the other side of the state, I encountered two different thunderstorms.  Both had hail (I was outside walking when the first one hit....).  Then I came home and found that we've had virtually no rain here.  It's getting worryingly dry.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

I did an early errand: Cool but dry and sunny.

My student came into her online essentially shaking her head and toweling her hair dry a few hours later. She'd ridden her bike to school in the same nice AM weather I'd seen, then been pummeled by a downpour that wasn't due for several more hours, on the way home.

We agreed she probably looked like a fish with a bicycle...

M.

hmaria1609

Parts of the region will get a hard freeze/frost overnight:
https://www.dcnewsnow.com/weather/forecast/

This WTOP Radio article features a map of the affected areas:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/10/hard-freeze-expected-snow-in-far-western-md-w-va/

We moved a few plants indoors earlier today.

dismalist

Quote from: hmaria1609 on October 18, 2022, 07:08:29 PM
Parts of the region will get a hard freeze/frost overnight:
https://www.dcnewsnow.com/weather/forecast/

This WTOP Radio article features a map of the affected areas:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/10/hard-freeze-expected-snow-in-far-western-md-w-va/

We moved a few plants indoors earlier today.

I love this season and this weather! Once upon a time called "sweater weather".
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Vkw10

We have a frost watch in effect, but it's been so dry there's no moisture in the air to freeze on cars or grass. I'm enjoying the cooler weather, but we're going to lose trees if this drought doesn't break. The smattering of rain over the weekend wasn't enough to eliminate the cracked soil creek beds.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

hmaria1609

Light snow was seen in Garrett Co., MD this morning:
https://wtop.com/local/2022/10/frost-advisory-in-effect-as-breezy-and-chilly-temps-remain-in-dc-area/
It'll be cold in the mornings the remainder of the week.

The tire low pressure light came on while I was driving so I aired my tires at Costco.

apl68

Having had a premature taste of winter yesterday, we're now heading back into summer tomorrow.  Absolutely not one drop of much-needed rain in the forecast. 

FishProf

A nice lull between deluges (how are we STILL in a drought?), with one last weekend of sun and not yet freezing overnights.

Smolt wants one more camping night.  Now where did I pack my nightcap?....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Harlow2

Chillier than I thought last night but thankfully did not lose any tomatoes or peppers. I've already covered them tonight, and it should be warmer for the next week.

Need to plant a container blackberry; it will go in one of the large half-barrels that holds a tomato I don't like very much; may pull that one this weekend.

apl68

First rain in weeks!  And it's cooler, too.  This morning's weather has been a sight for sore eyes.

I just checked the extended forecast for a place where I plan to go on vacation, starting late this week.  So far it looks promising.