News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

Because it also means sending your minions to do it someplace you can't run.  It's what Trump and his minions have either done or threatened to do (see Junior pre-insurrection speech).
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

dismalist

Quote from: FishProf on February 02, 2021, 12:48:27 PM
Because it also means sending your minions to do it someplace you can't run.  It's what Trump and his minions have either done or threatened to do (see Junior pre-insurrection speech).

to primary

This isn't about substance or politics; it's about use of a particular word in the English language. The headline of the Fox news article reads
QuoteTrump Jr. threatens to campaign against lawmakers who refuse to challenge Electoral College results
The term to primary doesn't show up in the body of the text, either.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

FishProf

So, that was an example.

Quote from: dismalist on February 02, 2021, 01:03:42 PM
This isn't about substance or politics; it's about use of a particular word in the English language.
This is a term about politics.  It's what Trump Jr said they were going to do.

It's also what AOC has threatened to do.

(I'm not sure what you are objecting to here...)

marshwiggle

Quote from: dismalist on February 02, 2021, 10:18:54 AM
Quote from: wareagle on February 02, 2021, 09:21:56 AM
Quote from: dismalist on February 01, 2021, 11:41:36 AM
primarying

I haven't heard this one.  Can you give an example?  Sounds bizarre.

Yes, came across it the second time yesterday. There is discussion that Schumer may be primaried by AOC. The left may not get into primarying if incumbents change their policies.

Yes, it is bizarre. It means challenging  someone in a primary. Why not just say that?

My understanding, like with many other "trendy" words on here, is that it is about context. In this case, (based on my hazy understanding of the American primary system), in a very safe seat for a particular party, whoever the candidate is for that party is likely to be elected. If a person can win a primary with a lot less support than needed to win the seat, then it is a sort of back door into office.

In other words, in a normal constituency where the election would be quite competitive, challenging someone in a primary wouldn't be called "primarying" because it wouldn't have that connotation of a back door into office.

(That's my outsider's perception. I stand to be corrected.)
It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 02, 2021, 01:14:44 PM
Quote from: wareagle on February 02, 2021, 09:21:56 AM
Quote from: dismalist on February 01, 2021, 11:41:36 AM
primarying

I haven't heard this one.  Can you give an example?  Sounds bizarre.

Yes, came across it the second time yesterday. There is discussion that Schumer may be primaried by AOC. The left may not get into primarying if incumbents change their policies.

Yes, it is bizarre. It means challenging  someone in a primary. Why not just say that?

My understanding, like with many other "trendy" words on here, is that it is about context. In this case, (based on my hazy understanding of the American primary system), in a very safe seat for a particular party, whoever the candidate is for that party is likely to be elected. If a person can win a primary with a lot less support than needed to win the seat, then it is a sort of back door into office.

In other words, in a normal constituency where the election would be quite competitive, challenging someone in a primary wouldn't be called "primarying" because it wouldn't have that connotation of a back door into office.

Oh my god! You are at least partly correct. There is even a book with the title Getting Primaried from as long ago as 2013. It's interpreted somewhat more broadly than we have been using it here, though.

Anyway, I don't like the word and will not use it. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

FishProf

Not corrected, but supplemented:  It can force a candidate into an expensive primary campaign that they have neither the interest or funds to undertake.  That's part of the blackmail piece with the AOC bit above. 

Additionally, in 2010 this is what the Tea Party did to several established Republicans.  They all then went on to lose in the general elections.  But, I don't think they used the dreaded term.

marshwiggle

Quote from: dismalist on February 02, 2021, 01:21:39 PM

Oh my god! You are at least partly correct. There is even a book with the title Getting Primaried from as long ago as 2013. It's interpreted somewhat more broadly than we have been using it here, though.

Anyway, I don't like the word and will not use it. :-)
That's fine. I don't have a reason to use it here. Anyway I'm just fascinated (as I said above) that so many of these terms seem to have come about to describe a familiar concept but in a very specific context. It's somewhat like like the converse of academic disciplines where ordinary words get very particular discipline-specific meanings; here we have ordinary concepts given context-specific word usage.

Quote from: FishProf on February 02, 2021, 01:28:10 PM

Not corrected, but supplemented:  It can force a candidate into an expensive primary campaign that they have neither the interest or funds to undertake.  That's part of the blackmail piece with the AOC bit above. 

Additionally, in 2010 this is what the Tea Party did to several established Republicans.  They all then went on to lose in the general elections.  But, I don't think they used the dreaded term.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

marshwiggle

"influencer", as in Instagram, Facebook, etc.

For a very amorphous definition, it gets use like virtually a job title.

apl68

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 04, 2021, 08:27:32 AM
"influencer", as in Instagram, Facebook, etc.

For a very amorphous definition, it gets use like virtually a job title.

An amorphous title for an amorphous job.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mahagonny

Here's a trendy word I like because I don't like it: 'BIPOC.' This word has arrived because 'POC' is being considered inoperative, which is a good sign if, as I suspect, it means the identity politics culture is on the verge of disintegrating.

Liquidambar

Quote from: mahagonny on February 05, 2021, 03:57:15 PM
Here's a trendy word I like because I don't like it: 'BIPOC.' This word has arrived because 'POC' is being considered inoperative, which is a good sign if, as I suspect, it means the identity politics culture is on the verge of disintegrating.

I don't follow your reasoning, but I don't like the term BIPOC either.  It feels as though it minimizes the racism that Liquidspouse experienced as a POC because he isn't the right kind of POC.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

ciao_yall

As a marketeer by profession, I am hating the misuse of the word "brand."

mahagonny

Quote from: Liquidambar on February 05, 2021, 07:48:14 PM

I don't follow your reasoning, but I don't like the term BIPOC either.  It feels as though it minimizes the racism that Liquidspouse experienced as a POC because he isn't the right kind of POC.

I'm sorry to hear that he had these two experiences.
This gets to the heart of the issue in my opinion. All human beings must suffer in many ways, and meeting people who aren't nice is one of those ways, and racism is just one way that people are not nice. But I get the impression these days that the BIPOC term is being promoted by those who want to make a case for their suffering to be seen as special. I think no one's suffering is special. Suffering is suffering. What we signed up for.
Of course it makes sense to pay attention to how certain groups have gotten a bad deal. But it's become a contest in some kinds of discussions.

ETA: if someone's pushing for reparations there will be a fight about who should get more.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mahagonny on February 06, 2021, 04:50:41 AM
Quote from: Liquidambar on February 05, 2021, 07:48:14 PM

I'm sorry to hear that he had these two experiences.
This gets to the heart of the issue in my opinion. All human beings must suffer in many ways, and meeting people who aren't nice is one of those ways, and racism is just one way that people are not nice. But I get the impression these days that the BIPOC term is being promoted by those who want to make a case for their suffering to be seen as special. I think no one's suffering is special. Suffering is suffering. What we signed up for.
Of course it makes sense to pay attention to how certain groups have gotten a bad deal. But it's become a contest in some kinds of discussions.

ETA: if someone's pushing for reparations there will be a fight about who should get more.

Observing different cultures and different historical periods shows that who counts as "us" and who counts as "them" is not remotely consistent. I was just watching a show set in Scotland circa 1950. The "other" despised group are Irish travelers, despite  the fact that both groups are white, speak the same language, and are basically the same religion (although one group is Protestant and one is Catholic.) Making an arbitrary "oppression hierarchy" that is projected back through all time completely ignores reality.

fishbrains

I'm beginning to think that the term "data aggregation" simply means making the data or numbers say what you want them to say--especially when they refuse to let us see the raw data that experienced the "aggregation."
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford