News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Happy New Year! (Good bye 2020!!) How will you mark it?

Started by clean, December 31, 2020, 08:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I hope that everyone has a great New Year's (Covid 19) Eve!!

What are your plans for the night?

What traditions will you partake today and tomorrow?

My bride's family seems to want to eat 12 grapes.  Others eat cabbage and black eyed peas.

What will you be eating (and why, if you know)?

Will you stay up and watch the ball fall or go to bed early? 

Bottom line is, What are your plans (in detail, please)?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

ciao_yall

I'm super bummed because I love NYE. Last few years, we have done a dinner party with friends, then run up to the roof of our apartment building to ring in the new year and watch all the illegal fireworks out in the neighborhoods.

Will do a few Zoom calls with friends, dinner with husband (we bought fancy shrimp, still not sure what to do with them). Husband wants to go to bed early and avoid all the germs on the roof but I may run up there any way.

sinenomine

I'm Pennsylvania Dutch, so to follow tradition, I should have pork and sauerkraut — but as I don't eat either, I'll go rogue and make shrimp rolls (with cabbage). Other than that, I'll obey my state's request to celebrate with my household, which is just me. Looks like a cocktails and movies night!

I usually go to bed before midnight and am awakened by folks setting off fireworks.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

ab_grp

Happy New Year to all, and may it be a much better year all around.

We are making pizza and watching a movie tonight.  We'll stay up until our midnight, although it's a bit anticlimactic after New York celebrates several hours earlier.  I guess we'll watch the ball drop online.  Since you asked for details, the pizza will have caramelized shallots and mushrooms, fresh and shredded mozzarella, Italian herb seasoning and red chile flakes, and homemade dough and sauce.  It will be rectangular.  The movie will likely be The Equalizer 2 (new to us), or Kung Fu Hustle (which is just fun).  I forgot about champagne-ish beverages, though we may have some cheap stuff left over from last year.  We also have some reasonably good wine (mourvedre) from our monthiversary (we still celebrate those as something to look forward to).  I'm sure there will be plenty of fireworks going off.  Seems like they started on them last night.

Tomorrow we will have pork and sauerkraut as I always had growing up in PA.  I will probably just throw it in the slow cooker to have an easier day.  I had not heard of eating grapes (do you know what that tradition is?) or cabbage but have heard of black eyed peas or hoppin' John. 

Have fun! Looking forward to hearing what everyone is up to.

On preview, just saw sinenomine's post about the pork and sauerkraut!

Vkw10

Early to bed tonight, after toasting the old year, since thunderstorms will probably reduce the fireworks tonight. We've replaced burnt candles with fresh ones, in accordance with Partner's family tradition. Tomorrow, we'll eat Hoppin' John and collards with fatback (which was tough to find here) in accordance with my family tradition. Tomorrow night will probably be illegal fireworks.

Never heard of grapes for New Years before, but I found an NPR story about it. https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/12/27/506484561/in-spain-new-year-s-eve-is-all-about-the-grapes-save-the-bubbly-for-later
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Smolt is staying up for the first time.  At midnight, we will be in the front yard having a lightsaber fight to ring in the New Year (and confuse the drivers passing by)....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

traductio

My kids (age 6 and 10) stayed up to midnight for the first time, and we watched the ball fall strange Kia ad with a clock superimposed on it in Times Square, after an hour of me wiping the floor with them in Uno. It was pretty neat!

pgher

My family watched Soul together. Very appropriate for an introspective time.

Coins on the window sills, bayberry candles burning. Kielbasa & sauerkraut tomorrow. Pretzels too.

FishProf

Smolt and I did as planned, but I ended up injuring my knee somehow (parting shot 2020?) so today I am limping around and trying to salvage this inauspicious beginning.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Stockmann

Quote from: FishProf on January 01, 2021, 09:08:49 AM
Smolt and I did as planned, but I ended up injuring my knee somehow (parting shot 2020?) so today I am limping around and trying to salvage this inauspicious beginning.

Sorry to hear that.

My wife and I had video calls with relatives and dinner in bed. Happy New Year, everyone!

clean

Did your neighborhood sound like a war zone, or was it only my nieghbors?

I have lots of debris in my front yard from the neighbor's celebrations. 
One neighbor was launching mortar rounds, so the sound of a huge bass drum rang through my house every few minutes.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on January 02, 2021, 07:57:18 AM

One neighbor was launching mortar rounds, so the sound of a huge bass drum rang through my house every few minutes.

Neighbors started shooting fireworks, guns and whatever around 7:30 pm and stopped around 1am.

saffie

Quote from: clean on January 02, 2021, 07:57:18 AM

It was surprisingly quiet here, just a couple of isolated firecrackers being set off.

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on January 01, 2021, 09:08:49 AM

Well, that's not as bad as what tends to happen to the losers of light saber fights I've seen onscreen....

I went to bed sometime after ten and soon dropped off, despite occasional fireworks.  They didn't wake me up at midnight as I had figured they would.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.