News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

hernia

Started by kaysixteen, February 09, 2022, 06:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

I have a 'bilateral hernia' in both groin areas, something which first showed up summer '20 in a CT scan for my kidney stones.   There is now some light and not constant discomfort in this area, and I happened to be seeing my PCP today for a regular diabetes check, and asked him to clarify.   He noted that due to the fact that there is some discomfort, he recommended I see a local surgeon to see if he thinks I should get the apparently outpatient surgical procedure to fix this issue.   Anyone here have any experience with these hernias, and with the surgery?

dismalist

Quote from: kaysixteen on February 09, 2022, 06:28:21 PM
I have a 'bilateral hernia' in both groin areas, something which first showed up summer '20 in a CT scan for my kidney stones.   There is now some light and not constant discomfort in this area, and I happened to be seeing my PCP today for a regular diabetes check, and asked him to clarify.   He noted that due to the fact that there is some discomfort, he recommended I see a local surgeon to see if he thinks I should get the apparently outpatient surgical procedure to fix this issue.   Anyone here have any experience with these hernias, and with the surgery?

Been there, did that. Do it. While the hernias start as discomfort or even pain, they can cause one to eventually have one's intestines fall out and get tangled. One can't do any heavy lifting for about a week after the procedure, but one can move around the next day.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Anselm

I had the one near the navel on the abdomen.  I forgot the technical name for it.  I got surgery before anything bad happened.  It was a breeze with no pain afterwards but I still scored a nice bottle of painkillers from the doctor just in case.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

secundem_artem

I had an inguinal and an umbilical repaired during a single outpatient surgical session.  Pain during recovery was minimal.  I think it was a week off work, no heavy lifting.  But as dismalist points out, an incarcerated hernia can be a surgical emergency. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

jimbogumbo

I would get in done even if it meant I did not pass Go and had to give up the cash. Putting it off (as stated above) can have major consequences.

We are in a Golden Age of medical procedures. Take advantage of it!

clean

In my 20s I had inguinal hernia repaired.  It was visible enough that it showed through my pants and had the appearance of making me look 'gifted'. 

I had 'outpatient' surgery. 
Honestly, it was not at all fun! 
IF you have ANY reason at all to stay the night in the hospital the first day, TAKE IT. 
I dont want to scare you, but it was not at all pleasant and quite painful.  You WILL need help the first day if your incision is anywhere as large as mine. 

And do not underestimate how long it will take to recover.  Take full advantage of the time off!  You WILL NEED IT!

I remember that my goals were minimal!  I stayed with my grandparents after the surgery.  The first day I nearly passed out getting from the bedroom to the bathroom (across the hall!)

The next day ALL I could do ALL day was get from the bedroom to the living room! 

I remember that the DAY's Goals were minimal...
Get the paper
Go to the mail box...

I was out of work for a month and I needed every day of that!  And the surgeon said, "well as you are a teacher, a month should be enough, if you had a strenuous job, I would approve 6 to 8 weeks!

Even months later, I would make a small turn, and feel a stabbing pain in the incision as something pulled a little more than it should have.  (between like a bee sting or sharp, ice pick stab, but not lingering pain).

So .... IF you are at all nauseous  after the anesthesia or dizzy or ANYTHING, STAY in the hospital that first day.   AND Make sure that you are not alone at all for at least the first week!

Good luck to you!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

kaysixteen

Hmmm... very varied opinions here as to the strenuousness of the procedure.   Thing is, unlike clean's experience, this hernia, such as they are, is totally invisible.  No bumps, lumps, etc.-- you'd never know it is there to look at it.   I suspect that has to make some sort of a difference, but I will ask the surgeon some hopefully not altogether clueless questions....

apl68

Quote from: kaysixteen on February 10, 2022, 10:14:32 PM
Hmmm... very varied opinions here as to the strenuousness of the procedure.   Thing is, unlike clean's experience, this hernia, such as they are, is totally invisible.  No bumps, lumps, etc.-- you'd never know it is there to look at it.   I suspect that has to make some sort of a difference, but I will ask the surgeon some hopefully not altogether clueless questions....

Lots of factors could explain the differences in experience--the severity of the problem to be fixed, whether it was done long enough ago to be before recent improved procedures, etc.  The consensus seems to be that it should be done sooner rather than later.  Fixing problems usually become harder the longer they are allowed to go uncorrected.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mythbuster

Location of the hernia and severity of the damage will be big factors in recovery time. But definitely get it taken care of sooner rather than later! My mother is dealing with a hiatal hernia for some time and has now had three different hospital stays as a result. Now, finally, the doctors are discussing surgical repair.

kaysixteen

One more thing-- I take it that when one has this hernia corrected, unless the surgery fails, the correction is permanent,, and the hernia not subject to recurrence?

clean

It should be a permanent repair.

Clarino1

Usually this is the case, but I had my first hernia repair in 1960, when I was 14.  My second in 1981, when I was 36.  The first one had to be re-repaired in 2010.  I should point out, that I am/was a professional trumpeter, and hernias are a trumpet player's disease.  those first two were due to me trying to play too high with inadequate breath support.  My surgeon told me that the  re-repair of the 1960 surgery was due to the way repairs were done in that day, more like a over-and-under baseball stitch, which may become unravelled over time (which is what happened to mine).  Repairs today are much better, and recovery time is much shorter.  In 1960, I was in the hospital for two days and pretty well incapacitated for more than a week afterward.  For the second, I was in the hospital overnight and was slightly sore for a day or two, but was essentially able to do almost everything immediately.  For the last one, I the surgery was outpatient, I literally walked out of the surgery center, and had almost no pain (took an extra-strength Tylenol that day and another the next, and that was it).  Surgeons can now do this surgery laproscopically (sp?) but, while I have friends who had had it done that way, I have no first-hand information.  I would say, as others have said here, get it done NOW.

clean

Im not sure that "outpatient" is really any indication that a surgery is not substantial!

My parents are reporting the Knee Replacements are NOW outpatient! 

I think that 'outpatient' is more because of much tighter/stricter/cheaper insurance company payments/reimbursements. 

AND TODAY, I think that there is a school of thought that you are safer at home than at the Covid Reception Center... not that it is good for you, but that having surgery AND THEN catching Covid is much worse than the inconvenience of being home hours after surgery.

kaysixteen

My PCP did say it was 'outpatient' surgery, yes.

I know that I have occasional groin discomfort, but I also know I can neither see nor feel anything under the skin.   I assume the surgeon, whose office has already received my file, will have seen the CT scan and thus have a good idea what it is and what should be done.  I confess that I am worried about psychosomatic symptoms-- do I have this pain because, well, I am supposed to have it?   Similar to the way one's BP could go up in the doc's office when he takes it?

kaysixteen

As a follow-up,  I actually did have the appointment with the surgeon this week.   He looked at the CT scan, and did a visual and  tactile examination of my groin.   He told me that a CT scan would probably reveal a hernia of some sort in most middle aged men.   He specifically told me that he recommended I not have surgery.   

Thank  you kindly, sir.