News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF Summer Months for NTT

Started by phattangent, January 22, 2020, 10:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattangent

Someone asked me a question about NSF salary compensation that I thought I would ask the fora: If research within the term of an appointment is not deemed to be included within a faculty member's regular organizational salary (e.g., with NTT faculty who are strongly encouraged to do research), then can an exception be made to the NSF two month salary rule?

Here is the related passage from the PAPPG:

Quote from: PAPPG link="https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/policydocs/pappg19_1/pappg_2.jsp#IIC2gia"
NSF regards research as one of the normal functions of faculty members at institutions of higher education. Compensation for time normally spent on research within the term of appointment is deemed to be included within the faculty member's regular organizational salary.

As a general policy, NSF limits the salary compensation requested in the proposal budget for senior personnel to no more than two months of their regular salary in any one year. (See Exhibit II-7 for the definitions of Senior Personnel.)

My next step, of course, is to ask a PD. I just thought it was a good question for here as some people may have experience with requesting such exceptions.
I fully expected to find a Constable in the kitchen, waiting to take me up. -- Pip in Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

hazelshade

The NSF makes exceptions to their two-month salary rule all the time--but what are you actually asking for? If you want a NTT faculty member to get paid money on top of their regular salary during the academic year (when they're under contract), that's going to be a harder sell because of time and effort rules (if you're under contract for full-time work it's hard to argue, and document to the federal government's satisfaction, that you should be paid for additional work). If your institution has a good policy on supplementary compensation, that will help your argument. I'd get in touch with your sponsored research folks ASAP.

phattangent

Quote from: hazelshade on January 26, 2020, 01:29:44 PM
If your institution has a good policy on supplementary compensation, that will help your argument. I'd get in touch with your sponsored research folks ASAP.

Thanks! I think it's called overload compensation at our institution. I'll definitely pass along this recommendation. Their proposal would get checked by the sponsored projects people before submission, so it makes sense to ask them.
I fully expected to find a Constable in the kitchen, waiting to take me up. -- Pip in Great Expectations by Charles Dickens