would you go to a conference that hasn't been canceled?

Started by delsur, March 11, 2020, 11:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_codex

My (very small, remote) June conference was just cancelled. The large, national/international late April conference is still on the fence. That one is going to waive its ban on remote conferencing, and desperate not to eat all of the costs. Stay tuned.
back to the books.

adel9216

After seeing everything that's currently happening in Europe (Italy, France), I am changing my answer to this question a bit. I said I probably wouldn't go, but now it's a definite no...

I live in Canada, and this is getting intense here too. I only go out to eat at the cafeteria 10-minute walk from where I live and stay home otherwise.

apl68

Had our one-day statewide library conference on Friday as planned.  About 60% of those registered showed up.  Most programs there took place as planned.  Presenters are making and posting videos for those who didn't show up.

Those of us who WERE there got extra refreshments to take home.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

risenanew

All the conferences I was planning to go to this year -- on the East Coast of the US -- are cancelled. I'd be surprised if we even hosted some of them in 2021, given the rate at which the coronavirus is spreading.

And I'm not planning on going to anything in either 2020 or 2021 -- a few extra lines on my CV is not worth risking my (or my family's) health!

adel9216

The conference I was co-organizing also got cancelled.

Hibush

By now, I expect that all academic conferences for April are cancelled worldwide. What is the uncertain zone? If you are organizing or regularly attend a conference slated for August, do you go ahead?

There is a lot epidemiological modeling happening that will influence practices by then.

For instance, we don't know whether there will be a lot of recovered people by then who are free to travel. I'm hearing from a high proportion of undergrad and grad-student aged folks who have no or minimal symptoms but test positive. They will be good to go by summer. Will there be a system to segregate the immune?

I'm seeing conferences that are in the early planning stages postponing for a year. These are usually smaller, under 200.

Those that locked in conference centers several years ago are really expensive to cancel. They tend to be further along in the planning, including significant financial commitments. They are also larger, 1000+, which creates a larger hazard.

dr_codex

Quote from: Hibush on March 29, 2020, 04:37:48 AM
By now, I expect that all academic conferences for April are cancelled worldwide. What is the uncertain zone? If you are organizing or regularly attend a conference slated for August, do you go ahead?

There is a lot epidemiological modeling happening that will influence practices by then.

For instance, we don't know whether there will be a lot of recovered people by then who are free to travel. I'm hearing from a high proportion of undergrad and grad-student aged folks who have no or minimal symptoms but test positive. They will be good to go by summer. Will there be a system to segregate the immune?

I'm seeing conferences that are in the early planning stages postponing for a year. These are usually smaller, under 200.

Those that locked in conference centers several years ago are really expensive to cancel. They tend to be further along in the planning, including significant financial commitments. They are also larger, 1000+, which creates a larger hazard.

My midsummer (tiny) conference was cancelled weeks ago. My much larger one, set for late April, waited to pull the plug for the reasons that you state. I don't know it for sure, but I think they were waiting for a Governor's declaration of a state of emergency, in part to negotiate with the hotel and conference center. Some of the costs will never be recovered, and registration fees will not be returned.
back to the books.

Volhiker78

I was speaking at a large multi-disciplinary conference in mid-June.  They emailed all speakers a survey this past Friday, to determine whether we planned to attend our not. Right now, the conference is still on. I responded I would not attend but would be willing to give my talk via video conferencing. The strange/humorous thing about the survey was if you responded no, a pop up box appeared asking the reason you responded no.  I didn't bother filling that out. I would be shocked if the conference isn't cancelled outright.

dr_codex

My big one is going to allow virtual sessions, which otherwise they don't. And a smaller international conference is going ahead with the annual meeting & governance component, while quashing all else.
back to the books.