News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Writing Software

Started by HigherEd7, March 25, 2020, 01:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HigherEd7

Is anyone using any of the writing programs such as Perrla to help format and organize their writing?

adel9216

I have never heard about Perrla, but a few people have told me about Scrivener.

polly_mer

I spent the morning with my LaTeX files.  I love TeXShop and use it for everything under my control.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

youllneverwalkalone

Quote from: polly_mer on March 25, 2020, 03:37:56 PM
I spent the morning with my LaTeX files.  I love TeXShop and use it for everything under my control.

+1 to LaTeX

I personally use TeXstudio.

mamselle

Just on the basis of their horrible YouTube ads, I'd never encourage anyone to use "Grammerly" (which is an ungrammatical name, if you ask me!)

Best is to find a good editor, work with them on a regular basis, and be willing to learn from their suggestions.

Then when you have a big project that really needs close oversight you'll have established a connection with someone you trust.

I've yet to see an editorial program that didn't produce awful gaffes, needing correction by a human who actually knows their grammar, spelling, etc.

(Why, yes, I do free-lance work as an academic editor...what made you think that??)

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

pgher

Count me among the LaTeX crowd. I use Overleaf. It's online, so it doesn't work on a plane, but it's easy to use collaboratively and gets around the installation and configuration issues. (I use TeXnicCenter offline.)

polly_mer

Quote from: pgher on March 28, 2020, 05:42:05 AM
Count me among the LaTeX crowd. I use Overleaf. It's online, so it doesn't work on a plane, but it's easy to use collaboratively and gets around the installation and configuration issues. (I use TeXnicCenter offline.)

I created my first internal-to-my-employer account on Overleaf a couple days ago because a colleague insisted that's how we'll collaborate on finishing our papers for one project while we're all officially on work-from-home.  This project had been emailing Word documents around so a shared LaTeX document is a huge improvement.

So far, the Overleaf transition been a lot smoother than trying to teach another set of colleagues how to use Git, GitLab-equivalent, and LaTeX all at one go; we're just teaching one person LaTeX at the moment.  I am grateful, though, that I brought a big TV into my home office instead of just working on the 13-inch laptop.  I like the Overleaf interface with several windows-that-would-float-in-TeXShop consolidated into one essentially static arrangement.  However, that's not nearly as nice an arrangement on just the laptop monitor.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

HigherEd7

Thanks for the responses as always