News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

April writing challenge

Started by Puget, March 28, 2020, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

For those who want social support and accountability for writing during difficult times. Very simple:

1. Every weekday AM, post specific, measurable, and achievable writing goal(s) for the day (no "work on paper", something more like "draft first two paragraphs of discussion section").

2. Do that writing task for at least 30 minutes during the day

3. Check in with your progress at the end of the day.

We have a few days before we start, I suggest revisiting your goals for the term and rejiggering to make a new plan given that the old one is likely pretty unrealistic at this point (I badly need to do this and have been avoiding it, so that will be on my list for Monday). Maybe just make a plan for April if longer out seems overwhelming right now. Post your plan here if you like.
Ideas for making a good term plan here: https://sarneckalab.blogspot.com/2018/07/writing-workshop-chapter-2.html

I look forward to writing with you all and cheering everyone on!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

hungry_ghost

Thank you for starting this thread.

I'm sorta in, but I'll do better if I post my tomorrow goal before I go to bed instead of a today goal when I get up, since part of the problem is getting up and looking at things that are not writing. Sorry for violating the rules.  I also post Friday haiku on random other days.

My tomorrow goal is small: to fix the end of the section of my book intro that I'm working on right now. It is just a few very very snarled up paragraphs, but I won't have much time and I will feel lovely and relieved if I can get them done.

(This is not the place to whine about the rest of what I must do tomorrow to be ready to teach on Monday...)

JCu16

I'm in. Going to work on a plan of battle. As I typically write early in the AM and do my analysis later, I'll post first thing and probably have something measurable early. In the meantime, going to try and tie off the last part of one of these papers tomorrow (two paragraphs to edit/rewrite), and finish a new short paragraph reviewing literature on another, so I don't have to have these two papers on the April list.

Puget

Quote from: hungry_ghost on March 28, 2020, 09:05:13 PM
Thank you for starting this thread.

I'm sorta in, but I'll do better if I post my tomorrow goal before I go to bed instead of a today goal when I get up, since part of the problem is getting up and looking at things that are not writing. Sorry for violating the rules.  I also post Friday haiku on random other days.

Totally fine, whatever works for you! There are no rules, just suggestions.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

hungry_ghost

My tomorrow goal is small: to fix the end of the section of my book intro that I'm working on right now. It is just a few very very snarled up paragraphs, but I won't have much time and I will feel lovely and relieved if I can get them done.

I did this, sort of, but it resulted in a "loose idea" that is important but could go a lot of different places. Tomorrow is a hell day. I will take 10 minutes to consider organization. Tuesday I'll get more done!

hungry_ghost

Quote from: hungry_ghost on March 29, 2020, 09:41:42 PM

I did this, sort of, but it resulted in a "loose idea" that is important but could go a lot of different places. Tomorrow is a hell day. I will take 10 minutes to consider organization. Tuesday I'll get more done!

Am I all alone?
(did my 10 minutes, tomorrow will be awesome!)

mamselle

No, not alone.

Some of us lurkers on this thread are rooting for you!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Not alone-- it's just the April writing challenge, so I'm sure others will join in tomorrow (I will). Trying to get my term plan reorganized first.

Wahoo Redux

Been editing.  Almost done with draft. May add in some Foucault but trying to keep the word count under 6K.  Want to get this out the door for my own sense of forward momentum and accomplishment. Then on to the book project!

Go team! 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Nightshade

I will think more today about what needs to happen on my end to get this article out the door and submitted in the next 3-4 weeks. I look forward to joining you tomorrow (and for the rest of April)!

att_mtt

Got started on my literature review for a project proposal that I am writing.
Thanks for starting the challenge, this will be helpful!

JCu16

I'm up and about, was just waiting for the month to begin.

This week has quickly been eaten by more meetings than I could possibly believe, however that's no excuse, I still have time each morning (preferred writing time) so will be kicking things off for Day 1. Plan for the first day is to start writing a new proposal I'm leading on a new idea, and/or write a paragraph that a colleague asked me to help with for a manuscript I'm coauthoring. Would normally go the paper route, but I have some analysis to do before I can spend some time there and want to make a strong start. I'm going to go for the 30 minutes route, rather than words, as that's usually enough time for me to do a bit more in first draft.

ergative

My goal for today:

Figure out how to make parallel script running work.

• Minimum goal: on a baby toy script
  • Ideal goal: on my actual script
  • Stretch goal: send the whole task off to the high-performance computer cluster