Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

April writing challenge

Started by Puget, March 28, 2020, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

OK here we go, Day 1!

Writing goals for today:
1. Grad student #1 overdue R&R: Comments/edits on revised discussion section and cover letter, help her cut down back to word limit, submit.
2. Grad student #2 R&R: comments/edits on revised full draft and cover letter

I'm going to do these first today, before grading takes over.

What are your (specific, achievable) writing goals for today?
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

ergative

Quote from: ergative on April 01, 2020, 03:01:18 AM
My goal for today:

Figure out how to make parallel script running work.

• Minimum goal: on a baby toy script
  • Ideal goal: on my actual script ---currently running now! Computer fan is whirring loudly, so certainly it's doing *something*
  • Stretch goal: send the whole task off to the high-performance computer cluster

JCu16

So success this morning.

write a section that a colleague asked me to help with for a manuscript I'm coauthoring

734 words later, and 3 paragraphs in 45 minutes, and its reading pretty well.

For the rest of the day, I'm working toward clearing the decks of a proposal review, a paper review and starting to edit the 12 writing intensive 10 page drafts my students submitted before I get consumed by meetings for the afternoon.

In a happy side note, my partner is a Ph.D. student working on her proposal, and has decided to join us. She's working towards her first of 3 aims and managed to put together 369 words in a couple of paragraphs.

Good luck to all on their goals. Will post my morning plans tomorrow for Day 2.

hungry_ghost

Quote from: Puget on April 01, 2020, 06:19:40 AM

Today I will

• rewrite the entire introduction to my book
  • compose a sh!tty rough draft of the conclusion
  • read all of the chapters and make a list of what revisions will be required for each
  • make all the "text boxes" for chapters 1, 2, and 3
LOL

hungry_ghost

In fact, today I'll do the next section of my intro. I plan to work on it for 90 minutes.

But today is April fool's day, as you should realize if you hover over the LOL in my earlier post.

ergative

I finished my task! It is now running away happily on the hpc cluster (my first such job!) and I am learning to my dismay that cpu time can go faster than real-world time, which means that the estimated amount of processing time I requested may not be enough for the task. On the other hand, this also makes clear the distinction between cpu time and wall time that I was puzzling over.

Knowledge!

Parasaurolophus

• Write the first 200 words of contribution to an edited collection.

It's rather modest, but it's a creative piece (for a public-facing book), and I'm not in a creative discipline, so it's harder and I'm rusty.

Plus, there's a ton of grading and other teaching work waiting for me.
I know it's a genus.

Morden

I will read through my introductory chapter and make a reverse outline to see where the organization could be clearer.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Puget on April 01, 2020, 06:19:40 AM
OK here we go, Day 1!

Writing goals for today:
1. Grad student #1 overdue R&R: Comments/edits on revised discussion section and cover letter, help her cut down back to word limit, submit.
2. Grad student #2 R&R: comments/edits on revised full draft and cover letter

I'm going to do these first today, before grading takes over.

Complete one Spanish lab for my class I am actually taking.

att_mtt

Today, I will continue to work on my literature review/research proposal.
I will search for new articles (30 minutes)
and write prepare a rough outline of my research proposal (30 minutes).

hungry_ghost

I did not do all those April Fool's list tasks but I did do 90 minutes on my intro. It went slower than expected, so I didn't get as much ground covered as I'd hoped, but I solved a knotty problem.
Quote from: hungry_ghost on April 01, 2020, 07:31:46 AM
In fact, today I'll do the next section of my intro. I plan to work on it for 90 minutes.

ALSO:
Quote from: Morden on April 01, 2020, 09:29:32 AM
I will read through my introductory chapter and make a reverse outline to see where the organization could be clearer.
I did this last week and this process not only improved my organization, but inspired an epiphany about connections across certain sections in my intro that will dramatically improve my entire book! Let us know how it goes!

(Said epiphany will also prevent me from achieving my self-imposed deadline but I think The Virus has already done that for me anyhow. This book clearly needs to "cook" a little longer anyhow.)

dr_codex

Today, I will ...

Write two article reviews (deadline: today -- eep!)

Anything else is gravy, once my online course involvement for the day is done.
back to the books.

darkstarrynight

I appreciate this! Today I will continue working on my revisions to a manuscript expected by a journal next week, as no adjustments to deadlines have occurred since the pandemic started. I need to hurry myself along...

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 01, 2020, 09:08:28 AM

• Write the first 200 words of contribution to an edited collection.

I wrote 520 words and made myself a flow chart to organize and keep track of all the very complicated moving parts. That'll do!

Now, for the stupid grading and stuff.
I know it's a genus.

att_mtt

Quote from: att_mtt on April 01, 2020, 10:49:03 AM
Today, I will continue to work on my literature review/research proposal.
I will search for new articles (30 minutes)
and write prepare a rough outline of my research proposal (30 minutes).

Done.