News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

April writing challenge

Started by Puget, March 28, 2020, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morden

Quote from: Morden on April 01, 2020, 09:29:32 AM
I will read through my introductory chapter and make a reverse outline to see where the organization could be clearer.

This writing challenge helped me refocus today when I got distracted by other stuff to do--so thank you Puget for setting this up. I completed my reverse outline and saw a couple places where I can make the introduction clearer right away, but I also saw a couple nasty knots. Tomorrow I will work on making the easier changes and hope for an epiphany.

Nightshade

My goal today was to revise a major section of the article I wish to send out in the next month. I find myself not having done this yet, but am trying to motivate myself by reading some of my recently published works. I think I can still finish the original goal for the day now.

Puget

Great to see so much writing happening today! Everyone is off to a great start. My writing day was VERY long, because grad student #1's draft was VERY OVER THE WORD LIMIT. After many cutting efforts I got it down so it is just 66 words over and sent it back to her-- she's going to have to find those last 66 words herself, as I am going to bed. On the plus side grad student #2's paper is ready to be resubmitted.

Quote from: Puget on April 01, 2020, 06:19:40 AM
OK here we go, Day 1!

Writing goals for today:
1. Grad student #1 overdue R&R: Comments/edits on revised discussion section and cover letter, help her cut down back to word limit [almost!], submit.
2. Grad student #2 R&R: comments/edits on revised full draft and cover letter

I'm going to do these first today, before grading takes over.

What are your (specific, achievable) writing goals for today?
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

JCu16

So about to get started with the writing assignment this morning - 30 minutes towards a new proposal I'm working on.

Finish a review that's due - next 30-1hr

dr_codex

Last round of big meetings today will bite into this, but here goes:

1. Write out final guides for freshpeeps for how to get out of their course. It's like writing a technical manual, I tells ya.
2. 20 minutes on invited lecture.
3. Grade until my eyes bleed. There is no screen time, now; only time.

Onward, all!
back to the books.

JCu16

Quote from: JCu16 on April 02, 2020, 05:24:40 AM
So about to get started with the writing assignment this morning - 30 minutes towards a new proposal I'm working on.

Finish a review that's due - next 30-1hr

Seems like I'm pretty consistent for the writing. 730 words down toward the above proposal, laid out a nice framework and the initial concepts which will get us moving on it (Due in June). My co-writer is moving well on her proposal, and added another 383. We are both finding this thread a substantial motivation. Need to find a way to get stuff done today so I have plenty to write about tomorrow, but the meeting monster threatens.

Puget

Good morning fellow writers!

Grad student who's overdue R&R I worked on till late last night did submit early this AM, so that's finally done! (And yes, we have worked on her time management for the past 3 years. . .)

Today's writing task: Comment/edit Grad student #3's article draft.

I think it's actually possible all three grad students will have submitted papers by early next week!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

JCu16

Quote from: Puget on April 02, 2020, 06:23:15 AM

Grad student who's overdue R&R I worked on till late last night did submit early this AM, so that's finally done! (And yes, we have worked on her time management for the past 3 years. . .)

I think it's actually possible all three grad students will have submitted papers by early next week!

Dangum, that's an awesome start to a month. Nice work. Any chance you'd be willing to share the coordinate to the universe where you can find graduate students like that? I'm looking for one at the moment ;).

Parasaurolophus

Today:

• Another 200 words on the weird chapter.

Still very modest because I have infinite marking to do, and many more teaching-related things. And a virtual colloquium talk to attend.
I know it's a genus.

att_mtt

Today:
-collecting more papers (30 minutes) for literature review
-elaborate on introduction paragraph in literature review (30 minutes)

Morden

I'm late today because of giant zoom meeting, but I will start reorganizing introduction (after lunch).

Morden

Late start and early-ish finish, but I'm stuck again. I managed to make the first bits better and get an old-fashioned essay map in there, but it's really clunky.

att_mtt

Quote from: att_mtt on April 02, 2020, 10:14:45 AM
Today:
-collecting more papers (30 minutes) for literature review
-elaborate on introduction paragraph in literature review (30 minutes)

not a lot, but done. Yay, the challenge might be working.

Puget

Quote from: JCu16 on April 02, 2020, 06:37:35 AM
Quote from: Puget on April 02, 2020, 06:23:15 AM

Dangum, that's an awesome start to a month. Nice work. Any chance you'd be willing to share the coordinate to the universe where you can find graduate students like that? I'm looking for one at the moment ;).

Done!

JCu16, I didn't say how long they had been working on said papers ;-). All in all though, you are right, they are awesome and I'm damn proud of how well they've been navigating suddenly not being able to work in the lab and run their studies. They worked super hard over the past two weeks to get a new online covid-focused study up and running and we started data collection today!

So glad to see so many goals being met again today! Keep it up everyone, one step at a time is how the writing happens!

Parasaurolophus

Nice work, friends! You guys are an inspiration!

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 02, 2020, 09:31:03 AM
Today:

• Another 200 words on the weird chapter.

245. I was hoping for more, but had to take a cat to the vet (he seems better, but we'll see if he needs a follow-up visit in the morning), and that sort of scuppered most of my plans.

Back to marking essays!

Quote from: att_mtt on April 02, 2020, 03:30:16 PM

not a lot, but done. Yay, the challenge might be working.

Definitely. I only bothered to do anything today because I'd already posted that I would!
I know it's a genus.