News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Publishing in a book series you edit

Started by Santommaso, April 14, 2020, 08:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santommaso

It is ok for an academic book series editor to publish a book in that same series? I assume that the volume goes through approval through the series editorial board and through a peer review process, but I was wondering whether that practice is acceptable.

Hegemony

I'm curious that no one has answered this. I don't know the answer myself. The press will probably know how usual it is. My guess is that it doesn't look as good as publishing in another series, because it's one less layer of validation — because obviously you will sign off on work that you did yourself. So if there's another option, that would probably be a better choice.

traductio

Seems like it'd really depend on how robust the peer review process is and whether you as series editor control it.

My second book came out in a neat series that I like at lot, published by a major university press. The peer review process was done before the series editor (who has also published in the series) even saw it. I'm not sure anyone will notice, though -- it's not as important as the press itself.

Ruralguy

Clear COI to me, actually. So, even if publisher allows it, it probably won't look as good.