News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Mental health resources when moving between jobs

Started by seym8842, May 04, 2020, 11:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seym8842

I am moving to start a faculty job in a matter of weeks now. Any suggestions for finding an (online) therapist in the midst of my transition between health insurance plans and being in different parts of the country?

doc700

My university health services -- which also treats faculty if they sign up for that health plan -- is doing all of its mental health services online right now.  Normally it would be very difficult to access their support over the phone although now it is all they do.  So if your insurance had started, you would be able to immediately access our health plans -- the distance wouldn't be an issue.

Does your new institution have an "employee help network" or something of the like?  An office of work/life or something?  My university offers this through HR.  I've never called it but it seems to be some of sort of confidential help line that you can call to triage any concern about work issues, mental health issues etc.  While they may not offer ongoing support, I presume they would be able to help you find resources with your employee health care plan.