News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Reprint possible?

Started by MProust, June 30, 2020, 10:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MProust

An article of mine appeared in an academic journal at the beginning of this year. I recently saw a call for articles from another journal (special edition to be published at the end of next year or the beginning of 2022). My article fits the topic of the special edition very well. Would it be appropriate for me to inquire whether this second journal would want to reprint my article?

Ruralguy

I'm thinking if its really just a reprint, no changes, then no. I question the ethics really. But I suppose if everyone is upfront and all, you can ask and see what happens.

Parasaurolophus

I wouldn't have thought so for a journal. In particular, I doubt (1) that the original journal will want to see it in another journal's pages, especially so soon after its initial publication, and (2) that the journal with the special issue wants reprints; usually they want original articles.

I expect things might be different for an edited volume, especially if your paper made a splash. But that's not this.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Having done the work, do you have a "splinter" (section of the published article that had to be left on the cutting-room floor) that you could develop into a new article that might also fit the CFP?

Or have you seen things since it came out that you wish you could have included?

Those might make it more of something new and not just money for old rope.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

I agree with the others that the special issue won't want to reprint something that just appeared.

Mamselle's suggestion of expanding a splinter idea into another article is probably your best bet.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!