Do I cite my own chapter even though I am editor?

Started by profjackster, August 03, 2020, 04:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

profjackster

Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a contract from a good press for an edited volume I am in the process of assembling with other chapter contributors. However, I too have a chapter inside the volume. Thus, what is the convention for citing in this situation? That is, do I cite myself 2x on the CV, one for the edited volume and the other for one of the chapters I wrote? Surprisingly even a decent google search did not offer a specific, clear answer. Thanks for any tips coming this way.

Sincerely,

Profjackster

polly_mer

You did two different things that should go in different places on the CV.  I'm accustomed go seeing entries both places to represent what you did.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: polly_mer on August 03, 2020, 04:52:15 PM
You did two different things that should go in different places on the CV.  I'm accustomed go seeing entries both places to represent what you did.

Same here.
I know it's a genus.

saramago

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 03, 2020, 04:57:13 PM
Quote from: polly_mer on August 03, 2020, 04:52:15 PM

Same here.

Here too.

Cheerful

Quote from: profjackster on August 03, 2020, 04:47:15 PM
That is, do I cite myself 2x on the CV, one for the edited volume and the other for one of the chapters I wrote?

Yes. 

A tip for editing a volume -- strive to maintain firm deadlines throughout the process.

Congratulations on the contract and good luck completing the project!

Ruralguy

It's two different things,. Of course, you could combine, but I wouldn't worry about making it so separate Cv items.

Ancient Fellow

Quote from: profjackster on August 03, 2020, 04:47:15 PM
That is, do I cite myself 2x on the CV, one for the edited volume and the other for one of the chapters I wrote?

Yes, I would say a line each under both "edited volumes" and "chapters."

profjackster

Thank you good people. The general consensus is wonderful and much appreciated at my end! As for mention of the firm deadlines, yes, I am mindful of this. Fortunately, our group of writers are pretty inspired (we're examining how the pandemic is affecting different countries beyond what the news and media convey to us). For now we're in agreement that the submission deadline of December, before the work goes to reviewers, is reasonable. My only concern is their coming interaction with reviewers and how this could stagger the time-management of the project, but overall things are smooth (for now). Now I "get it" after a few months of doing this: being editor of a volume is analogous to being a chef, one that needs ingredients (contributors) to be treated with care lest the food tastes bad. Sending you all my best wishes!

PJ