August writing challenge

Started by Puget, August 04, 2020, 06:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 06, 2020, 07:36:33 AM
Today:

• Book Review
  • Partner's Dissertation
  • Short New Paper (I had a flash of insight last night, and I'm excited to start)

+ Newsletter, which unfortunately always grows to take up all the time just before it's published. Still, I slept very poorly last night, I'm very tired, and I don't feel super well, so it's enough that I managed to work on all four things today, however inefficiently.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Puget on August 05, 2020, 06:44:25 AM

In good news, I got a conditional acceptance back on long-neglected paper from past threads, at a very solid journal published by one of our two major disciplinary associations-- very pleased to finally put this paper to rest, after it was rejected outright at two journals, and got a rather brutal R&R at the current journal (based on some rather poor reading comprehension on the part of the dreaded Reviewer 2). This is the sort of story I like to pull out when grad students get discouraged about rejections.

YAHOOOOOOO! I needed to hear someone's good news today!

Parasaurolophus

Still feeling somewhat unwell, so today's will just be the book review. With any luck, I can finish my draft so I can forget it for a little while.

If I have the time and energy, I'll have a look at the comments on the book proposal.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Late in reporting in, so I'll do yesterday and today at once:

I met my goal yesterday on grant ideas for revision with Favorite Collaborator

My original goal for today was data prep for a paper, but that got displaced by last round of feedback on other grant with Last Minute and Everything's On Fire senior collaborator. Anyway, that's done now and the rest of the day consists of meetings (but one is with Favorite Collaborator, so that's nice).

Hope you feel better soon Parasaurolophus and a good weekend to all!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

nonsensical

Quote from: nonsensical on August 06, 2020, 07:37:08 AM
Addressed another comment on the R&R with my colleague. This one was easier than yesterday's and took less time. Progress!

Did a few more comments on this paper today.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 07, 2020, 10:05:27 AM
Still feeling somewhat unwell, so today's will just be the book review. With any luck, I can finish my draft so I can forget it for a little while.

If I have the time and energy, I'll have a look at the comments on the book proposal.

It's too long and I don't like its structure, but it exists, and I can just tinker around the edges later in the month/in September, when I have a bit more time. Phew!

On to the book proposal next week.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Got more prep work and writing done.

The Sparhawks are entangled with the Wigglesworths and I can't seem to sort 'em out....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nonsensical

Welcome to a new week! My goal for today: address at least one comment on R&R with colleague.

Parasaurolophus

• Read report on Book Proposal
  • Put in an hour on Co-Authored Paper 2
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Quote from: nonsensical on August 10, 2020, 05:07:28 AM
Welcome to a new week! My goal for today: address at least one comment on R&R with colleague.

I intended to start working on this first thing during the work part of my day but ended up spending two hours on the phone with the IRS before being able to get to this. But, my IRS issue is closer to being resolved now, and I was able to finish addressing the comment before my afternoon meetings start. It was another suggestion that required a lot of reading and a little bit of writing, and I have now done both.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

mamselle

More done, both research and some writing.

More to do.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nonsensical

Parasaurolophus

I don't feel up to much, so I'm just going to durdle with Foggy Paper today and finalize the syllabus for my new fall course.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

I've completely failed to write for the past two days as I've gotten bogged down in pre-semester prep, and yesterday the power went out for the whole afternoon taking the inside temp to really non-productive levels.

But I'm posting now to pre-commit myself for tomorrow to finish up the minor revisions for the almost-accepted paper so that's off my plate.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes