News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

August writing challenge

Started by Puget, August 04, 2020, 06:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 11, 2020, 01:00:49 PM
I don't feel up to much, so I'm just going to durdle with Foggy Paper today and finalize the syllabus for my new fall course.

Done.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Have to go into town for errands again today, and I don't feel like much anyway, so I'll aim for more progress on Foggy Paper.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Today was a mess and I wasn't expecting to get any writing done, but I addressed two related comments. Also deleted a third comment because I decided that it only needed to be addressed in the cover letter, not in the manuscript. All the satisfaction of deleting a comment with none of the usual work required!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 12, 2020, 08:50:52 AM
Have to go into town for errands again today, and I don't feel like much anyway, so I'll aim for more progress on Foggy Paper.

Oops, I forgot to update. Got it done this morning, before everything.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Did a couple more comments on R&R with colleague today.

Parasaurolophus

Today:

• Foggy Paper (because I'm on a roll)
  • Prepare presentation for side gig interview next week (ugh)

I don't have the courage to try to think my way through the book proposal issues yet. It would be easier if it was properly my own project, and not one the press asked me to take on.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 13, 2020, 09:41:37 AM
Today:

• Foggy Paper (because I'm on a roll)
  • Prepare presentation for side gig interview next week (ugh)

I think I'll finish Foggy by the end of the month. It's been an epic wrestle with that paper.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Today:

• Foggy Paper
  • Presentation
  • Start building course shells for the fall and uploading material
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Our semester starts next week and I released my courses today on the LMS. I am going back to research projects on Monday, though I did work with my colleague on transforming hu's dissertation to an article yesterday. I am just relieved that I am not in panic mode because I felt very overwhelmed at the beginning of the week to get everything ready (since our semester moved to start earlier than intended). Happy weekend, everyone!

nonsensical

Darkstarrynight, how lovely that you are not in panic mode! Congrats on your accomplishments this week.

Parasaurolophus, it is a great feeling to be on a roll with a paper. And, it makes sense that planning a project is difficult, especially when you're executing someone else's vision rather than your own. Baby steps usually help me with big projects (as you can probably tell from my very boring updates here about addressing comments one by one -- all the reviews together can be intimidating, but certainly I can do one thing at a time and then put the paper away until a different day).

Which leads me to my update for today: Addressed more comments. One main one, and then maybe a secondary one? I don't even remember anymore, and I just closed the file a few minutes ago. My brain is ready for a weekend.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 14, 2020, 11:05:02 AM
Today:

• Foggy Paper
  • Presentation
  • Start building course shells for the fall and uploading material

Quote from: nonsensical on August 14, 2020, 01:01:13 PM

Parasaurolophus, it is a great feeling to be on a roll with a paper. And, it makes sense that planning a project is difficult, especially when you're executing someone else's vision rather than your own. Baby steps usually help me with big projects (as you can probably tell from my very boring updates here about addressing comments one by one -- all the reviews together can be intimidating, but certainly I can do one thing at a time and then put the paper away until a different day).

Thanks! And yeah... that's the trouble. I actually share the referees' reservations, but those problems are pretty much inevitable with a project of this kind. And, I think, irremediable. Which would have discouraged me from pursuing it in the first place, if it wasn't served up to me. But I can probably think of something, given enough time!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Lots of zooming today. Afterwards, I should do something about either the book proposal, the foggy paper, or co-authored paper 2. I haven't decided yet.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Took a break from R&R with colleague for today because I got co-author comments back on a different R&R with some of my trainees. I spent a few hours today incorporating their final suggestions and cleaning everything up, and just pressed "submit." Back to R&R with colleague tomorrow, probably.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on August 04, 2020, 10:06:39 AM

August goals:

• Keep working on grant project manuscript towards target journal with team
  • Start new project with colleague in my sub-field, reviewing collected literature
  • Submit article with superstar and rising star
  • Make significant process to finalize report for organization to publish in September
  • Continue working with colleague to transform her dissertation into article for target journal

• Worked on grant project today and reached out to team for next steps!
  • Read all of the literature thus far for new project in sub-field today and will start drafting manuscript shortly!
  • Reached out to superstar to offer to review the final draft of our manuscript before submission.
  • Worked on final report today and sent edits to the research team.
I had a good Monday!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 17, 2020, 09:30:31 AM
Lots of zooming today. Afterwards, I should do something about either the book proposal, the foggy paper, or co-authored paper 2. I haven't decided yet.

Done.
I know it's a genus.