News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

August writing challenge

Started by Puget, August 04, 2020, 06:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkstarrynight

Enjoy the wedding, the weekend getaway, the rest - all of you deserve this! I got a R&R today on the project with current and former students, so I am really pumped. Both this and the acceptance revisions are due back in 3-4 weeks. My article that was supposed to be published "before the end of August" is still not out so now I hope that means it will show up online on Monday. Tomorrow (yes, Saturday) I am working with my co-author on the reject to review feedback and split the lengthy manuscript into two papers. Hu works full-time outside of academia so we have to meet on the weekend, but I feel like my productivity is returning. Yippee!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 04, 2020, 08:04:36 AM
I'm taking it easy in the first half of August (including a mini vacation - in the woods, so plenty of isolation), and starting to teach in the second half, so this will probably be a slow month for me.

August goals:

• Work on book proposal OR work on part of proposal idea for stand-alone article
  • Make progress on paper with colleague

Stretch goal if I have some unexpected time:

• Complete IRB training and submit IRB for new project(s)

Between taking it easy in the first half of August and teaching intensively in the second half, this was a slow research month for me.  But I ended strong and managed to get the stand-alone article under review (it was already done, so the only question was whether to fold it into a book proposal), get the proposal back on track (in case the article gets rejected), and make some real progress on the project with my colleague (which I'm now envisioning as a larger scale project, if colleague is up for it).

Still keep putting the IRB stuff off, but I think I'll have to take care of it in September.  Also in September I'll have to deal with an article that was rejected last week.

Parasaurolophus

Today, I finish Foggy Paper and send it to a friend for confirmation that it's good to go.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 31, 2020, 08:58:55 AM
Today, I finish Foggy Paper and send it to a friend for confirmation that it's good to go.

Done!

Not bad, in the end! Comes out to about one new paper a month since April!
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

That weekend away was super necessary! We stayed at a lovely bed and breakfast with delicious pastries, went on some beautiful hikes, and visited a lovely local attraction. We also had food from several restaurants that I like but that don't exist near our current home. It was wonderful to just spend time together, which matters even more than the specific things we were doing.

It turned out that I didn't have very much work left on my student's R&R, which I finished in about half an hour while my husband was napping on one of our days away. Today my writing goal is just answering a bunch of e-mails to try to make a dent in the pile-up that occurred during our trip.

Parasaurolophus

Nice work!

Today's mostly a teaching prep day, to make the start of term next week easier for me. Do we need a 'Fall teaching challenge' thread, or some such?
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Goodness, it is already September! Congrats on the wonderful weekend, nonsensical! Though I anticipate a September thread emerging shortly, I will just provide an update:

• article supposed to be out "by the end of August" is still not out (open access online journal)
  • revisions for accepted piece are nearly complete four weeks early
  • revisions underway for R&R due in 3 weeks, got permission from editors to go above word limit since the reviewers mostly wanted additions
  • met with coauthor Saturday to change rejected piece into two manuscripts, for one of which we identified a target journal and split up duties
  • continued working on new project with other person in subfield who has never worked with me, was able to speak to a really cool journalist who writes about my field on the phone last week because of my search for information
  • superstar/rising star project led to a submission for an international conference since it is virtual, but paper is still being finalized by superstar (mostly to cut down lengthy manuscript)