News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF Expert

Started by born_a_prof, January 19, 2021, 12:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

born_a_prof

What is the role of NSF "experts" that are listed in their staff listing. They are listed separately from program directors.
I have been told they are sometimes assigned some proposals as PMs...anyone know when that happens ?

aspiring.academic

It's a nuanced question that requires nuanced answers.
It's essential to start with the understanding that there's no hard-fast rule or a one size fits all answer.

In large programs, sometimes the expert serves as an additional PD.
Sometimes a rotational PD is leaving the agency, and the expert will assume the role, including the title, once that person departs. Still, since there can't be two people in the same position simultaneously, the expert label is temporary.
Sometimes the expert role is assigned to an individual that doesn't do the same thing on an ongoing basis and therefore doesn't fit the usual job description of a PD.
Sometimes a permanent PD role moves to a rotational position, but the permanent PD has decided to stick around for a while longer. Hence, the expert is essentially a PD in waiting.

Those are just the instances that I can think of where someone had the title of expert. I'm sure I'm leaving out some scenarios.

born_a_prof

Ok thank you for that detailed explanation! This really seems like insider information that is not available anywhere else!