News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF Eager grants: Experience and Tips

Started by born_a_prof, June 24, 2019, 03:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born_a_prof

I am a new STEM TT prof., and interested in applying for an NSF EAGER grant. I haven't met many people who have applied. I was wondering if any folks here have any experience and could share their insight. One thing I heard is that sometimes if your "regular/unsolicited" proposal doesn't get funded due to research being "too exploratory/speculative", the program managers may advise you to submit an EAGER proposal. Is this the main mechanism for Eager, or do "stand alone" EAGER proposals stand a chance ?

Thanks

happylittletrees

Sometimes, yes, but it does need to be fairly exploratory. The best info will come from your program manager. You need to reach out to them and ask. They'll want you to send a summary to them and then they may invite you. Even if it's invited, it may not be funded, but you definitely won't be competitive for an EAGER if you don't even try.
Talk to the tree; make friends with it.
-Bob Ross
Maybe in our world there lives a happy little tree over there.
-Bob Ross

research_prof

As far as I know, the best piece of advice I can give you for EAGER is to talk to your program manager. You need a program manager to invite you, so that you are able to submit. If you can pitch your idea to them and convince them, you should be fine.

Getting an unsolicited EAGER proposal funded will be tough.. Pitching the idea to your program manager and asking them to invite you is more likely (still not guaranteed) to get your proposal funded.