Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Grants — embarrassing question

Started by foralurker, February 03, 2021, 09:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faith786

Quote from: foralurker on February 03, 2021, 09:00:33 PM
I hate to ask this, but here goes...

I'm a fresh PhD in my first faculty job. When I was hired, I was told that I should try to collaborate with people who had grants. And while it would be nice if I got some grants myself, it wasn't expected. I also have zero experience with grants or even applying for them.

Now half way into my first academic year, I'm feeling pressured to find grant money. But here's the problem: I don't understand what I need money for. I don't need money. I don't need to buy anything and I can't fathom what I would budget for.

In anticipation of incoming questions, here's some info:

* My research is on college teaching and requires no equipment
* My department provided all of the software I needed
* Start up funds covered all of my office equipment
* My contract has me covered for teaching fall, spring, and summer so I don't need to cover my salary
* I guess I could hire a GA, but I have no clue what work I could give them

I have half a dozen studies under my belt with manuscripts either published or in press. I incurred no cost in any of them. I can't imagine asking for thousands of dollars in grant money. What am I not understanding? I feel absolutely stupid anytime someone asks if I'm applying for grants.

I'm a newish PhD as well, and I have well over a dozen studies under my belt (no tenure track job as of yet but I imagine that will change eventually)...If someone asked me to find grant money, I would jump at the opportunity...in fact, I've been so research-greedy that I keep applying for external grants since I've graduated (sadly with no luck as of yet).  Although I published extensively with my previous research data, there are still other studies that remain that I need to analyze, which I frankly don't have much time to do all by myself right now.  I would immediately hire someone to assist with it.  I would also love to have the latest and greatest technology, electronic equipment and accessories that would make my research life easier.  If you're in a research-oriented job, it may be helpful to think of yourself as "the leader, boss, CEO, and manager" of your research (lab/team). If you don't have a lab/team, you need to establish one with your grant money. Hope this helps.
I need this grant approved...