News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

August Research

Started by Parasaurolophus, August 02, 2021, 10:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkstarrynight

Today the story aired that included my interview about my research! It is pretty exhilarating to have such a platform to share work relevant to current issues! Now that I had my five seconds of fame, it is back to preparing Fall courses.

ergative

-Finish revisions of publeme 1 and submit
-Do that final review
-Make progress on the CS AI project
-Revise publeme 2 and submit (may go into September)

Also did some CSAI work, but I won't cross it off just yet.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: darkstarrynight on August 11, 2021, 08:33:47 AM
Today the story aired that included my interview about my research! It is pretty exhilarating to have such a platform to share work relevant to current issues! Now that I had my five seconds of fame, it is back to preparing Fall courses.

Yay!

Today, I'll finish putting up my course shells and work on either August R&R, or on touching up my sample chapters for the publisher.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 11, 2021, 09:49:33 AM

Yay!

Today, I'll finish putting up my course shells and work on either August R&R, or on touching up my sample chapters for the publisher.

I am working on my course shells too. I have a too much adrenaline from the excitement of the media story to do any work on manuscripts today.

Sun_Worshiper

That's great! Congrats!

mamselle

Felicitations!

Sorry to say, I'm in the "grumpy spot" with both the PowerPoint project--which got balky this AM, refused to save three slides I'd spent 1.5 hrs on, and made me re-do them all in a different file so as not to lose my train of thought--and the article, which is at the Heartbreak Hill point that usually needs some kind of serious demand on the other side of the river (sorry, mixed geographic metaphors) to get me over the hump.

Maturity, prayer, and the right kind of breakfast cereal will have to prevail.

Still no forward movement on the N/P bank transfer, after 8 months.

Time for some serious desktop tap-dancing.

Students doing fine.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 11, 2021, 09:49:33 AM

My shells are done, apart from plugging the problems into the quizzes. But the hatchling doesn't want to sleep for more than thirty minutes at a time, so that put the kibosh on any other accomplishments.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Meeting with a student shortly, then I'll try to get either some R&Ring done, or some sample chapter revision.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 08, 2021, 11:17:47 AM
I just got back from vacation, so I'm feeling reinvigorated and ready to dive into some research. However, the semester starts in a couple of weeks and so non-research obligations will start eating into my time soon. With that said, here are my ongoing goals, which I plan to make progress on in August:

• Finalize paper #1 with colleagues and submit to journal
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleague
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleague
  • Start outlining invited book chapter
  • Finish teaching case with colleague
  • Begin outlining book proposal based on ongoing research project and/or think about other new research projects to move forward with
  • Get my new research assistant to work on ongoing data collection project

darkstarrynight

It may not be much but I scheduled my first research team meeting with the students who will be supporting my big project. We are meeting the week after the semester starts, so next week I will be visiting the offices with the equipment we need to use to learn how the students can schedule time in those spaces.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 12, 2021, 09:57:13 AM
Meeting with a student shortly, then I'll try to get either some R&Ring done, or some sample chapter revision.

I'm not satisfied, but I did a bit. It's hard to do the serious overhauling I need to do in the tiny chunks of time the hatchling is leaving me now that he's on a shorter nap schedule. Sigh.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

More bits done. Figured out a workaround for the Ppts for now; kept the article within its page limit while fixing more things.

Much more to do!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

-Finish revisions of publeme 1 and submit
-Do that final review
-Make progress on the CS AI project In progress
-Revise publeme 2 and submit (may go into September)

Spent a good chunk of today working on publeme 1. I'm integrating comments that a thoughtful reviewer made a couple of years ago during the last round of rejections, as a sort of FU to the lousy reviewer who didn't bother even looking at Figure 1. Reviewer 2 read the paper carefully and gave good comments. But it's so hard to lever open my exquisitely tightly constructed shell of an elegant introduction to jam in the new topic.

Parasaurolophus

Back to fixing that sample chapter today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 13, 2021, 08:50:44 AM
Back to fixing that sample chapter today.

Done!

Back to the R&R now, I guess. I don't much feel like it, however.
I know it's a genus.