News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

August Research

Started by Parasaurolophus, August 02, 2021, 10:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Today I'll finish reading that thing.

I've secured a five-month extension on delivery of the book, so all is well! A one-year turnaround was totally feasible when I started the project, before we knew we had a hatchling coming. Now, it would have been incredibly difficult to honour.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

I reviewed one article and submitted the review yesterday, and just reviewed a second one today and submitted that review. I have one left but it is not due until the end of September so I am not going to rush through it right now. I also drafted the "letter from the editor" for the forthcoming journal issue. This is the first time I am in charge of article order and writing this letter, which is exciting.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

quasihumanist

This weekend, I have to read through a 40+ page paper for correct usage of commas, agreement of subjects and verbs, existence of antecedents for pronouns, and other similar grammatical issues.  As far as we can tell, there are no substantive issues left.  The grammatical issues are few and far between, but not nonexistent.  Frankly, no one is going to notice or care (and my coauthors don't), but for some reason I insist on doing this.

mamselle

Quote from: quasihumanist on August 27, 2021, 09:34:10 PM
This weekend, I have to read through a 40+ page paper for correct usage of commas, agreement of subjects and verbs, existence of antecedents for pronouns, and other similar grammatical issues.  As far as we can tell, there are no substantive issues left.  The grammatical issues are few and far between, but not nonexistent.  Frankly, no one is going to notice or care (and my coauthors don't), but for some reason I insist on doing this.

I'm glad you do, for one.

Glaring, avoidable grammatical errors in published work of any kind hurts all our eyes.

I'm reading a 1940s history book with my pencil out. By p. 10, I had to insert an "a" where it had been omitted: the sentence was ludicrous without it.

Whatever the topic, good grammar is essential in communicating it well.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 25, 2021, 06:29:03 PM
I didn't get nearly as much writing done this summer as I had hoped.  I am feeling a bit stunted in my career and scholarship does not have the same zest it used to when I was hoping for job interviews.  Then I got a brand new class to develop with mostly brand new material. 

Burnout and a little depression combined with pressing responsibilities.  I am soldiering very slowly through a revise-and-resubmit article...but the book project is chaos and has been shelved for a bit.

Any tips on reinvigorating or retooling my research attitude?

Getting started is the hardest part. Beyond that, my advice is to try to write every day (even if just for a few minutes). Post a goal or two the Sept. research thread as well to give you something to work towards.

darkstarrynight

Yesterday and today are for teaching and meetings. Tomorrow is the first research team meeting on my big project with the students collaborating with me. I am really excited about that! I am also on a virtual editor panel tomorrow.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 08, 2021, 11:17:47 AM

• Finalize paper #1 with colleagues and submit to journal
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleague
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleague
  • Start outlining invited book chapter
  • Finish teaching case with colleague
  • Begin outlining book proposal based on ongoing research project and/or think about other new research projects to move forward with
  • Get my new research assistant to work on ongoing data collection project
  • Get paper #4 (desk rejected) back under review
  • Get paper #5 (rejected, with reviews) back under review

My RA has been put to work and I've made some marginal progress on paper #3. Teaching and beginning of the semester responsibilities have dominated my time this month (as well as a vacation in early August), but looking forward to a productive September.

mamselle

Three more slides done. Just a few more to go.

Because all my students showed up wanting lessons this week after all, my 'week off to write' is being translated to next week, which I always given them off anyway for the week their schools are starting.

Article still needs more attention.

Pas a pas.....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Report:

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 02, 2021, 10:47:41 AM

• Finish August R&R
[/s]
  • Finish August Chapter
  • Make last tweaks to Sample Chapters for Publisher
[/s]
  • Make a real start on Collaboration 3, which is due in a few months

Stretch:

• Write one new Book Section

Not much by way of accomplishments, but it's enough. I did a small pile of editorial work and other stuff, too, and the August Chapter and book both got extensions, so!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Yea!

See you on the September thread!

M.