News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Writing Programs

Started by HigherEd7, November 01, 2019, 06:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HigherEd7

Is anyone using any writing programs to check for grammar errors and other mistakes in their research paper?

Parasaurolophus

Clearly not my students.

And professionally, I don't either. But that's just because I'm meticulous, most of my writing is done in the editing process, and I've worked as a copy editor. I don't miss much.

I do when I'm writing anything in French, however, even though it's my mother tongue. I did almost all my schooling in English, and I do almost all my reading in English, so my written French isn't as good as my written English. I mean, it's perfectly fine, but I slip a lot more and I miss my slips a little more easily.

(Ironically, although I did pretty poorly in it, Demotic Greek did more to improve my written French than anything else. It just made everything click.)
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

MSWord has the same ability as Grammerly to check writing----the program will check for run-ons, cliches, passive voice, sentence length, slang, the whole 9 yards; one simply needs to enable these features.  I even saw something on line to the effect of "Grammerly is MSWord, you are just paying for it."

Word is frequently confused, however, and so I rely on my own keen eye...which isn't always so keen.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

adel9216

I'm not a native English speaker, and I use Grammarly. I am quite satisfied with it.

cointegrated

I use MS Word, Grammarly app that comes with Chrome and then a human editor if I can afford it.