Would you consider purchasing a journal in your field and becoming editor?

Started by Myword, November 01, 2021, 01:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myword

I have no idea whether purchasing a good journal is feasible or the cost. Buying the rights to a current reputable journal--not starting a new one. Is this idea realistic? You could be the editor and make the publishing decisions. The problem is finding referees , good technical help and publicity. Assuming that it fills a niche or need.
I'm throwing this question open to you. All fields may reply.

I began a new journal online once, but have not the technical computer acumen--aptitude to manage it. So I dropped it.

darkstarrynight

My current major project is digitizing a defunct journal. I consulted with librarians at my institution to see if we should house the journal archives with the university press, but they told me it has a significant cost and to only do that if I intend to restart the journal. The professional organization that owns the copyright has not been interested in restarting the journal as long as I have been involved in leadership positions related to research. One of the reasons is that in the past decade, this particular subfield now has many outlets that publish in this area. That was not the case before, so now that there are places for scholarship in the field, there is less of a desire to restart this particular journal. Thus, we are housing the archives in the library's open access repository (for free)!!!

Hibush

Quote from: darkstarrynight on November 01, 2021, 01:51:01 PM
My current major project is digitizing a defunct journal. I consulted with librarians at my institution to see if we should house the journal archives with the university press, but they told me it has a significant cost and to only do that if I intend to restart the journal. The professional organization that owns the copyright has not been interested in restarting the journal as long as I have been involved in leadership positions related to research. One of the reasons is that in the past decade, this particular subfield now has many outlets that publish in this area. That was not the case before, so now that there are places for scholarship in the field, there is less of a desire to restart this particular journal. Thus, we are housing the archives in the library's open access repository (for free)!!!

Thanks for a the detail and dynamics regarding the business model for a small journal these days.

Is there any field today for which there are not many outlets?

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Hibush on November 01, 2021, 02:27:38 PM
Quote from: darkstarrynight on November 01, 2021, 01:51:01 PM

Thanks for a the detail and dynamics regarding the business model for a small journal these days.

Is there any field today for which there are not many outlets?

That is a fair question. I imagine so, but of course I only know my fields. I still research in a very narrow subfield that still struggles to get published in outlets. What I mean is that, for example, I may study the intersection of Basketweaving and the Business of Baskets. Outside of my institution, most Basketweaving departments think I belong to the Business of Baskets department, and most Business of Baskets departments think I belong to the Basketweaving department. My institution only has a Basketweaving department. Thus, each field misunderstands those of us doing this subfield research, and often our work gets rejected from Basketweaving journals so we then try Business of Baskets of journals, which also reject it. Only in the past five years or so do some journals in each field take manuscripts from this intersection. It is still a struggle, so restarting the journal could have been possible. However, one journal was founded a few years ago by people like me who were struggling with this back-and-forth nonsense, and that has helped showcase subfield research immensely. The newer journals are not as established so there are no impact factors or whatever is needed for certain institutions to validate journal types. Business of Baskets departments tend to be more snobby about journal tiers than Basketweaving departments are. I hope that makes sense and is not just gobbledygook!

mleok

What's the endgame here? Are you hoping for it to be a side hustle?

Puget

I've never heard of a non-scam journal owned and run by an individual-- that would be a non-starter in my field. Journals are generally run by professional societies, which then partner with publishing companies to do everything not directly involving editorial decisions and peer review. Some non-society journals are run directly by publishers, but still with academic editorial boards and editors. I'm not sure why a legitimate journal would ever be "for sale" as you suggest, but I suppose some fields might be different.

Are you hoping this would make money? If so, how? If you plan to charge authors fees and be open access, you have to ask why they would submit with you vs. other available journals, both established, legitimate open access and with traditional publishers. If you plan to charge subscription fees, you have to ask why libraries or individuals would subscribe. And running a journal is also not free-- at minimum you need website development and web hosting, plus someone to do the copy editing and formatting for accepted articles. You would need to recruit an editorial board and action editors (unless you plan to be the sole editor, which again starts to sound pretty scammy). Etc.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Myword

Puget,
         you make good points...more questions than answers. I am against pay to publish so the authors owe the journal nothing. Editors coiuld use the same editorial board more or less.  Web development and maintenance are expensive. And who would buy it? It would not be profitable but hopefully, not much in debt. Perhaps you could buy editorial direction as part owner.

youllneverwalkalone

Quote from: Myword on November 01, 2021, 01:04:49 PM
  I have no idea whether purchasing a good journal is feasible or the cost. Buying the rights to a current reputable journal--not starting a new one. Is this idea realistic? You could be the editor and make the publishing decisions. The problem is finding referees , good technical help and publicity. Assuming that it fills a niche or need.
I'm throwing this question open to you. All fields may reply.

I began a new journal online once, but have not the technical computer acumen--aptitude to manage it. So I dropped it.

But why you need to "buy" a journal? It seems like your goal is to be a journal editor. Most people become journal editors by getting involved with established journals in their field and going up the ranks. If you are an established researcher you may considering starting a new journal but the usual way to go about this would be to contact a commercial publisher and get them onboard with your idea.