News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Collaboration overload

Started by newprof, June 09, 2022, 10:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newprof

Hi everyone,

I'm writing for some much-needed advice on collaborations- and how to avoid them if they don't make sense. I'm in a STEM field and, as a fairly new PI, I'm working hard to establish my own research programme. My group is up and running and we're studying topics I believe to be worthy.

The issue is that, at least where I am, STEM research has become so frantic that it's very common to be frequently approached by people in entirely different fields wanting to collaborate, even if it doesn't make sense to do so or would be far too much effort to justify any potentially positive outcome. I'm not sure if it's academic conditioning, but I feel under immense pressure to say yes to everything, in part because I'm frequently the most junior person in the room. The result is that I feel I don't have enough time to work on things I value, and the stress of that is chipping away. (I am starting to feel like my research group is here to fulfil the vision of others, yet I know that's inaccurate and I only feel so because I have trouble saying no.)

I've resolved now to turn down collaborations that don't make sense or feel right to me. The issue is how to phrase it in a polite but firm way? And how to manage the social cost of saying no?
Also, any tips on limiting existing collaborations (particularly when the collaborator starts trying to expand into all areas of your research?)
And finally, how to back out of an informal collaboration you agreed to, once you've realised it's far more work than it first seemed?

Thank you in advance for any and all opinions.

Hegemony

I don't believe there's actually any social cost to saying no. Your perception that there might be is undoubtedly contributing to your hesitation in saying no, so rest assured that there is not. I invite people to be part of projects all the time. About three-quarters of them say no.

The surest way to find someone to say yes is to find academics who are retired — those are the ones who actually have the time to take on new work. Everyone else is already overloaded.

And you don't have to phrase it in any particular way. "I'm sorry, I can't right now, but I appreciate the invitation" is fine. About half the people I invite on projects don't even give me a reply (even the ones I know personally!), which is very annoying. So the fact that you have actually sent a return email will put you at the top of their appreciation list.

Occasionally I've had people really try to pressure me into saying yes, sending multiple emails or otherwise guilting me. To those I say, "I'm so overloaded with projects right now that if I took this one on, I would almost certainly turn in my part late, holding everybody up — so I must say no." Late contributors who hold everybody up are the bane of projects, so they will be grateful you've let them avoid that.

But really, just saying "Thanks, but I can't" is fine — no one will think less of you.

newprof

Thanks very much for your reply. It's great to hear this perspective. For very specific and time-bound requests, I am getting better at declining with more ease. However, some requests for collaboration are very nebulous and open-ended, along the lines of "we should do *something* together" (even when our research areas aren't really complementary and would need to be shoe-horned into some kind of research question, and in some cases even when we do not know each other at all). I guess in those cases it's better to say upfront that the research they're proposing doesn't really fall within the type of topics I work on. It's this latter type of request that I fear can carry the social cost when saying no.

AJ_Katz

I have turned down people before when it doesn't make sense.  In some cases when it's really not at all a good fit, I just tell them that it sounds like a really interesting project, but I'm not sure that my expertise is what they're looking for, and then recommend them to people that would be more appropriate for the role.  Other times when it is a close fit, I will tell them more about what my group focuses on and how my group might be able to contribute to their project and depending on their needs, it can work out.

Sounds like you are having success in getting grants.  Just make sure that once it comes time for you to go up for tenure that it is clear that your body of work has made a contribution to an area of science.  What can sometimes happen for people in "tool fields" or statistics is that they are "always the Co-PI, never the PI", which can lead to them having a scattered portfolio and lacking deep impact in one area of inquiry that demonstrates scholarship commensurate with a promotion and tenure evaluation.  The question I like folks to consider is:  What will you be known for in 5 years from now?

Good luck!

mamselle

One person I worked for observed, "...its the scientist's version of, 'I really like you, we must get together for lunch sometime!'."

Steer by your own star.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

arcturus

It sounds like you are in one of the more "useful" STEM fields - like statistics. I cannot imagine someone asking me to collaborate outside of my areas of research expertise! However, if this is the case, then you should consider some of these collaborations as the equivalent of service. Specifically, if they are not on a topic that will advance your research directly, use the same tools to evaluate whether or not to say "yes" as you do when asked to complete a service task. First, wait a little before saying yes/no, to give yourself a buffer and time to consider your options. Second, evaluate whether the proposed work (collaboration or service task) will advance your career. This could be an opportunity to learn something new, or move your research into a new (interesting to you) direction, or make connections with "important people" (networking), or make connections with people you like (also networking). On the other hand, this could also become a time sink, force you to work with unpleasant people, or stall your current research trajectory. Seriously consider the outcome and only say yes to those opportunities that are clearly beneficial to you. Third, develop a polite, but firm, way of saying no. Thank them for thinking of you. If it really is a case of being too busy, let them know that you would consider a collaboration in the future, when you have more time/resources. But, most importantly, do not say yes and then flake out - your reputation is what you make of it.

Ultimately, while it is nice to be asked, you need to protect your time and energy to focus on those activities that are most likely to advance your career (and, of course, those that you enjoy doing!).

Volhiker78

Always ok to just say you are too busy to add another project at the current time.  I say that I'm out of bandwidth right now but let's keep in touch.  No one is offended. 

mamselle

Are you tenured?

That's your priority.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

pgher

Quote from: Volhiker78 on June 10, 2022, 05:37:38 AM
Always ok to just say you are too busy to add another project at the current time.  I say that I'm out of bandwidth right now but let's keep in touch.  No one is offended.

+1. I would rather get a real no than a fake yes.