Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

August research thread

Started by sinenomine, August 01, 2022, 04:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 01, 2022, 11:10:29 AM
August goals:

• Make progress on finalizing paper #1 (solo) and, if possible, get it to a journal
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleague
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleagues
  • Make progress on paper #4 with colleague, which we are supposed to present at a conference in mid or late Sept (ball is in colleague's court at the moment)
  • Decide whether to pursue paper #5 with colleague or take it off my list for a while (maybe forever)
  • Decide whether to abandon paper #6 with colleague, which has been rejected from many journals and which my colleague is apathetic about
  • Revise and submit paper #6 with colleague to journal - to be abandoned if this submission does not work out
  • Revise and submit paper #7 with colleague to new journal
  • Revise and submit paper #8 with colleagues to new journal
  • Revise paper #9 for resubmission

Paper #3 has now been submitted and colleague sent me a draft of paper #4, so I'm marking them off the list (even though I have a lot of work to do on #4 now that it is back in my hands). Next month should be a productive one in terms of getting #s 7 and 8 out the door and making progress on #s 4 and 9. Paper #2 is also hanging over my head and I know my coauthor is annoyed with me for being slow, but I'm overwhelmed with other things at the moment. Hoping to get my head above water by mid-to-late September.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Guess I'll write up the second report, and read later.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Getting more bits written. The deadline feels unreal, but I'm pretty sure it's solid now.

Push, push, push....

Lunch now, student at 4:30.

Text and notes need more work.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

August goals:

• Make progress on finalizing paper #1 (solo) and, if possible, get it to a journal
  • Make progress on paper #4 with colleague, which we are supposed to present at a conference in mid or late Sept (ball is in colleague's court at the moment)
  • Decide whether to pursue paper #5 with colleague or take it off my list for a while (maybe forever)
  • Decide whether to abandon paper #6 with colleague, which has been rejected from many journals and which my colleague is apathetic about
  • Revise and submit paper #6 with colleague to journal - to be abandoned if this submission does not work out

Made great progress on paper #7 today. We're not going to get it out to a journal in August, but I feel optimistic about an early-September submission.

Teaching all day tomorrow, but hoping to get the ball rolling on revising paper #9 on Thursday.

Parasaurolophus

Towning this afternoon, so just reading my quota today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 31, 2022, 10:57:23 AM
Towning this afternoon, so just reading my quota today.

Done. 75% of that stupid book is read. Oof.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

August goals:

Did a little work on paper #4 today, but was mostly tied up with teaching. Hoping for a full day of research tomorrow, with an emphasis on getting the ball rolling on an R&R (paper #9).

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on August 01, 2022, 04:29:17 AM
Back to Article B, now that the book review has been submitted.

Article A is in my friend-reader's hands, still, but B is due at the end of the month, so it's the focus now.

M.

Also got work done on Articles A and C, but B was the focus--due today 91, so since I'm up, I guess I'm starting a new thread!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 01, 2022, 11:56:21 AM
This month (they're not all research tasks, but they do need doing):

• Write conference panel paper (which will be folded into my next book).
  • Complete at least one of two REB supplementary training course things.
  • Prepare August Newsletter.
  • Update syllabi for the fall (ugh).

Stretch:

• Finish up the paper I started in July.
  • Make cosmetic alterations to Co-Authored Paper 3 and send it somewhere.

I didn't quite hit those stretch goals, but instead I refereed three papers and read 75% of a book I have to review by January. And I completed both REB courses.

I also didn't exactly write the conference paper; I wrote most of it, and more or less made my presentation. But it's close enough that I can just tinker until I have to give it.
I know it's a genus.