News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

August research thread

Started by sinenomine, August 01, 2022, 04:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 08, 2022, 05:28:59 AM
Today's only goal is another training module.

Two modules, and a bit of work on last month's new paper.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

I got the book proposal draft started and created a shared drive for my potential coauthor. I think I convinced hu to join me on this writing endeavor since we have such different disciplines and could never write together unless it was a topic related to hu's new administrative role and my teaching and research area. I am going to work on this a little bit here and there before we meet next week, as the proposal has to be submitted by the end of the month.

I also plan to get started on the actual sabbatical project today now that I finished prep work yesterday. I am no longer tied to library technology and can work on it from anywhere.

mamselle

A few reviewers notes for the review, and it's done

Article A, I'm starting to think, can get a tiny organizational tweak, and then go out, my friendly reader's too caught up in their own stuff.

Leaving B to get final attention this week, out to more reliable friendly editor next week, and back for tweaking before its 9/1 due date.

Students in between.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I'd like to complete another module today.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Just kidding on starting the project. I found that I did not correctly finish the prep work as I previously thought, so I have to go back to the library this week. Oops.

mamselle

Nearly finished the reviewer's notes before I had to teach. Two to go and it's done.

A, B, etc., can go after that.

M. 

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 09, 2022, 10:00:07 AM
I'd like to complete another module today.

Four. All that's left is the test--but not tomorrow, because tomorrow my partner defends her dissertation!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

All digits crossed.

(Claws? What do Parasaurolophuses cross?)

Anyway, hope all goes well.

M.

darkstarrynight

I returned to the library and finished the rest of the edits I needed to make this morning. Then I made significant progress on the book proposal. Also, yesterday I came across a very appropriate call for submissions for the project my colleagues and I presented in June. We just have to submit a 500 word abstract by the end of September so I am excited about that possibility!

Parasaurolophus

Claws, yes. It was a resounding success (of course)!

I wasn't going to do anything, but I had some time so I took the exam for the training thing, passed it, and now it's done and I'm certificated (though not, alas, certified).
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

We're all of us here on this-here fora certified, ya know....or, maybe, "certifiable" is the word I want?

-=-=-=-=-
Review done and submitted....finally, I think.

Now, that Article A organizational issue, I might just have enough brain cells to rub together to get a start on that.

Then Article B.

M.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on August 10, 2022, 11:25:23 AM
I returned to the library and finished the rest of the edits I needed to make this morning. Then I made significant progress on the book proposal. Also, yesterday I came across a very appropriate call for submissions for the project my colleagues and I presented in June. We just have to submit a 500 word abstract by the end of September so I am excited about that possibility!

For some reason I got motivated and cranked out a 500 word draft proposal and sent it to my coauthors. I know they are busy and this is not due for seven weeks, but I feel like it would be great to get it in early so we can focus on the manuscript and have a timeline in place. I really had a productive day!

mamselle

Ditto here. I got some shaping work done on Article A., and at least opened and looked at Article B.

Dinner soon....

M.

Parasaurolophus

Not sure about today's goals. Might start the other supplementary certification course, might just work on a paper...
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Polishing up A one more time and sending to another friend-reader.

Goal: turn it in, in whatever shape, since it will still be vetted, next week.

Focus on B today and this weekend, try to get to the point I can send to two other friend-readers on the 17th, 2 weeks before it's due.

Today's goal: go back, check previous references, see if there's anything I've omitted, and scan for smoothness overall.

Start thinking about next steps, which might have to take a hiatus since I may have to do some real-life-stuff shortly (I just have this 'feeling' my housing situation could change and I need to have all my references and books in order so if a move becomes necessary, they will be on the top of the pile. It feels as if I am just now getting into a good work rhythm and I'd like to proactively protect that if possible.)

M.